Jailbreaking my 02 1.1.2 iPhone - Question about restoring after

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Hustle, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

Hey all, i'm using this http://modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started_iPhone_Modding_OS_X_current
    guide to jailbreak my 02 Genuine UK iPhone and was wondering, if Apple release a 1.1.3 software version, do i need to un-jailbreak or restore my iPhone before updating?.

Also, incase my iPhone gets broken, is there a way to get rid of all jailbroken software because I'm sure jailbreaking my iPhone voids my 02 insurance.

Thanks

2. peacetrain67 macrumors member

i would wait till a 1.1.3 version of oktoprep to be available when 1.1.3 comes out. that's what i am do. before updating you use oktoprep (find it in install tweaks)

3. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

What I really want to know is if i do Jailbreak my 1.1.2 OOTB iPhone, how to i get it so its back to normal and un-jailbroken?.

Thanks.

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

You kind of want to virginize basically (as I understand it virginizing is a way to repair broken basebands), . As you're not touching the baseband then I guess nothing more than a restore should do it.

Having just said that I'm not sure on that (not jailbroken my 1.1.2 OOTB on O2 yet).

I'd like to know too.

5. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

First attempt failed. Got the iPhone to 1.1.1 and jailbroken, however, i wasn't getting any signal. However i kept on with the guide and tried updating to 1.1.2 but got a ''failed - unknown error'' in itunes.

Restoring now and going to try again. I had Independence open when i was updating to 1.1.2 so it might be that.

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

7. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Completed.

It worked this time. I had iTunes and Independence Open when i was jailbreaking therefore it didn't work the first time.

Second time was fine.

It works. :)

8. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

this happened to me too and it wouldn't activate on 1.1.1. Just do it again, and make sure everything is closed that needs to be. Also, got the error the first time too i didn't get the itunes error when upgrading to 1.1.2 by "option + clicking" on update, and then navigating to the 1.1.2 firmware in user/library/itunes/software or something. there are 3 packages for me, 1.0.1, 1.1.1, and 1.1.2. i clicked 1.1.2 and it worked a treat! jailbroken and activated and ready to go!

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

If I wasn't expecting a call I'd be getting on with this now :)

10. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is sweet. Works like a treat. Installing Applications now.

11. pbmaster93 macrumors newbie

If you have a new Iphone 1.1.2 and you downgrade it to 1.1.1 then jailbrake can you use any hack yo open it to any sim network (T-Mobile USA) for me thanks i really wanto to open it up.

12. pazzo83 macrumors regular

You saved my freaking life, thank you (the option clicking upon updating to 1.1.2)

13. spinstorm macrumors 65816

If you want to go back to normal iphone otb state then just RESTORE in itunes.

Virginizing has NOTHING to do with jailbreaking - it is to do with unlocking so unless you have an unlocked phone just restore it.

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I jailbroke my ootb 1.1.2 phone decided I couldn't be bothered with most of the apps and now after the restore to standard 1.1.2 (twice) I have no working EDGE and visual voicemail.

I've tried the 1760/1750 trick to get VV to re-initialise but to no avail.

So, what I'm saying is: 1. this should be noted by others and 2. any ideas on what to do?

15. Moleshome macrumors member

Ring O2 support, tell them you've done a Restore and now Edge and VV don't work.

16. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Thanks. That's exactly what I was gonna do.

Now to find the number....

17. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The support number is 2302.

I did what they said (home and wake/sleep to reset). That didn't work but I then reset the network settings (General menu) and then it works again.

tbh I found most 3rd party apps to be a little rough around the edges and not much use to me personally.

I'll wait for the SDK and see what comes of that and the subsequent firmware update.

18. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

08705 678 678 :)

they close at 5pm or 6pm today i think too :-/

19. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

out of interest, which apps did you try out?
    as i couldn't really do without some of my 3rd party apps (iSMS, MMS to name 2 :p)

20. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

21. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I didn't give things a huge try out, in fairness, but the flakiness that comes from customising was enough to make me think twice.

I don't have much need to the more advanced SMS and MMS stuff so I didn't try that out.

I didn't like having doubts about things for something I rely on like a phone. However now I have this back to normal I may play again. I mean I'm not playing with modem software so it's safe to play.

I think 1.1.3 might lock things down a little more than 1.1.2 but we'll see. I wanted to have a quick play before that was released.

22. lucror macrumors newbie

Is your Visual Voicemail working as expected. I jailbroke my iPhone a few days ago, when clicking on Voicemail nothing happened and I eventually found out that Edge wasn't working.

A quick Google search fixed both these problems but I was still having an issue with Visual Voicemail. It knew that there were voicemails there, but they weren't being downloaded to the phone. All I got was a message saying that it couldn't connect.

I've just done a restore to standard and it's all working fine again now, Voicemails come through almost imediately.

I'm starting to think it might have something to do with the version of firmware that is forced during the jailbreak. Is this a US version, I'd presume the UK version would differ somewhat.

Anyone else having similar issues, or know how to fix?

Mark

EDIT: Just reread thread and I realise you know about the Voicemail problems - what I mean is, is Voicemail working fully as expected.. Are you receiving them quickly (if at all).

23. lucror macrumors newbie

I agree - I had a quick play with iPhysics and the NES emulator but they weren't showstoppers that would stop me from upping to 1.1.3 when released. I'm sure this will all changed, it was the same with the PSP, the first batch (and second, and third....) were just proof-of-concept's really.. Developer showing that they could do something.

I see more useful things in the next few batches of releases.

Now... re-jailbreak and try to fix my voicemail, or wait for 1.1.3.... hmm...

24. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

The final firmware you use after the jailbreak is just normal 1.1.2 but with a backdoor left open (using oktoprep or similar).

My now unjailbroken iphone now works as standard.

25. namernumber1 macrumors newbie

I Need Helppp

Hey! I am trying to uprgrade firmwares.. I used this tutorial: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=41009

And I'm stuck here :
    7.6 At the end of this, the iPhone will shutdown and reboot itself several times. It will look like it’s stuck in a loop, but just wait it out. It will sort itself out.
    7.7 Once this is finished, you can disconnect the iPhone from the computer, because the rest is done on the iPhone through its WiFi connection.

It finished jailbreaking and then It just didn't do anything, it's stuck on the Plugin Itunes picture... It hasn't rebooted.. and when I have restarted by holding home and close it just opens up to the same thing and I have plugged it back , but itunes just says a bunch of stuff.. Like that it's restored and what not.. I am really lost I am new to this.. Let me know.. pretzel___@hotmail.com I would really appreciate ! Thanksss