iPhone Jailbreaking my iPhone 4--lock button is broken, any foreseeable problems?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by seajewel, Oct 29, 2012.

1. seajewel macrumors 6502

Also, it's currently running 5.1. 5.0 was VERY unstable on my iphone 4 (froze every day), which was a PITA since I couldn't reboot the phone until the battery died due to a broken lock button. (yes, i tried everything--nothing worked, including software solutions) So I never updated to 5.1.1 or 6.0 because I figured why mess with something that works perfectly (no freezing since 5.1). Now my iPhone is getting on and I'm getting bored of it, and I know once jailbroken I can lock the phone with on-screen buttons?

Is it better to upgrade to 6.0 before jailbreaking or to keep it at 5.1? Does jailbreaking require the use of a physical boot button during the process? I looked at manuals and it seems like I won't need to physically do it but if I do, I'd get stuck at some point. Thanks!

2. Durvelle27 macrumors member

yes you do require a properly working sleep/wake button to Jailbreak but i'm going to show you a new way to go around that. Also no it best to stay on IOS 5.1 as IOS 6 is a Tethered Jailbreak.

For Windows

- Download Redsn0w 0.9.15B2
    https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b2.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

- Unzip Redsn0w

- Right-Click redsn0w and run as administrator

- Click Extras

- Click Even More

- Click DFU IPSW and select the IOS you want to use and it will create a custom firmware to put the phone in DFU mode

- Open iTunes go to the phone press Shift+Right Click on restore and then select the custom firmware that was created and let it restore and the phone will be in DFU mode with a all black screen

- Close iTunes and open redsn0w again

- Click Extras

- Click select IPSW and select the corresponding IOS you used to create the custom DFU firmware

- Then go back and select Jailbreak

- Then a screen will pop-up make sure Cydia is checked and click next

- Now sit back and wait till its finished

Now Your Jailbroken :D

3. seajewel thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! I'm going to wait a week or so as I *need* my phone to work next week haha but I might try this after that. I would really like a fresh reason to love my iPhone 4 :D