Jailbreaking my workmate's phone tomorrow......checklist?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chic0, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Chic0 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll be jailbreaking my workmate's iphone 4 4.3.1 tomorrow using the Redsnow method

I first jailbreaked my phone last August. I know there are a few things to do the first time you jailbreak, but cant remember exactly what

I know you have to dowload mobile terminal from cydia and change the root password. Does anyone have instructions on how exactly to do this?

Also is there anything else i need to do?
    Is it imperitave to save blobs?

Thanks

2. Bl0ckHe1d, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

Best place to look is the iClarified website that has a tutorial detailing how you jailbreak the iDevice (assuming that you are jailbreaking using Windoze!) http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14562&laid=

Yes you are correct on saying to change the root password using mobileterminal, if you plan to install OpenSSH on the iDevice - however do not use the version in Cydia as it is for iOS3 - the latest iOS4 beta version can be obtained from the xsellize repo. To change the password simply open mobileterminal and do the following:

type passwd
    enter the password - alpine
    then enter new password and re-confirm password

type su root
    enter the password - alpine
    type passwd
    then enter new password and re-confirm password

*note if you are using secured shell (SSH) you need to use the password that is/was replaced by the alpine password!

The SHSH blobs are required if you wish to preserve the baseband and/or downgrade (for example from iOS 4.3.1 to iOS 4.2.1 - ONLY if you have the blobs for iOS4.2.1!!). To save you SHSH blobs there are two options - first: select the "make my life easier" button in Cydia and the SHSH blobs are saved/stored on Saurik's server, or second use TinyUmberlla http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ plug in your iDevice and run the exe file and save you SHSH blobs which is saved onto a log file on the computer.

Hope this helps!

3. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Excellent

Thanks!!! :)

4. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Alternatively, you can change the iphone root password from your mac in terminal. In terminal, type:

ssh root@[iphone_ip_address]
    yes
    alpine
    passwd
    [new_password]
    [new_password]

passwd mobile
    [new_password]
    [new_password]

obviously replace the bits in square brackets (don't type in the square brackets either)

this way you don't have to install mobile terminal. one thing less to worry about. :)

In terms of a checklist, this is what I usually do:
    - sync iPhone and make sure it backs up
    - ensure you've got the latest version of redsn0w
    - ensure you've got the relevant firmware of iOS on your mac
    - run redsn0w
    - install openSSH
    - change password

5. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Prior to jailbreaking : backup, backup , backup