Jailbreaking negatives

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AnotherFanBoy, Aug 9, 2010.

1. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Hey everyone

I have an iPhone 4 and I am planning to use the JailbreakMe jailbreak. However before I do, I wanted to know what the main downsides or adverse affects can be.

Am I likely to find things don't run as smoothly as they used to? Will I have trouble syncing? When the 4.1 update comes out will my phone break. These are the kind of questions I'd like answers to.

Also, if I restore it, will there be any trace at all that it was jailbroken? Do Apple have some kind of test?

I appreciate the general nature of this post but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

2. Shorts. macrumors member

iphone 4 you will have no problems with performance. for me everything runs smoothly and i have alot of tweaks and winterboard and flash installed on my iphone

3. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

The only downside is that Steve Jobs will love you a little bit less than before.

4. dvanha macrumors newbie

Pre-OS4.0 I had jail broken my 3GS iphone and found the performance was a lot sloppier.

For this reason, I went back to factory and stayed that way until yesterday. I used jailbreakme; it was quick and easy. Because the performance with OS4.0 has been just as sloppy, I decided to jailbreak and finally get my MGS4 SMS tone.

No issues so far, but I feel dirty.

5. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

some people (myself included) are seeing our batteries run down faster than pre-jb'ing. but for all the benefits, would NOT go back; jailbreaking RULES..!

6. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I've jailbroken my iPhone and only have installed mywi, if anything my battery life seems to have improved ALOT

7. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Yea ok

8. Kayan macrumors 6502

Questions in the order you asked:
    Some people find things are slowed by certain JB apps that hurt performance, you can find out which ones these are (Winterboard is one culprit). You will have no trouble syncing. When 4.1 comes out, you will not be able to update immediately, in the JB community, we never update until we know we'll be able JB again. If you restore your phone as a New Phone, there is no JB vestiges left behind. Apple cannot tell.

9. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

T-Mobile customers like me, have no option but to remain jailbroken. So there you go, thats my reason. No negatives, only positives.

10. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Why are you doubting me, I did not say when using mywi my battery is improving! It has improved with daily non mywi usage

11. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I don't see how its possible for a devices batter to improve when adding more functions to it... But I've been wrong a few times

12. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

MUCH faster battery drain for starters. Maybe 25% faster, maybe more. Also apps on the JB side will sometimes conflict with one another or with native/AppStore apps. Lastly, there are many apps that run funky on the iP4, so you have to experiment. (winterboard kept crashing, so I ditched it)

That being said, I'm a non-geek but I'm loving it!

"LockInfo" makes my lockscreen & homescreen useful. It's how they should have always been. (wish weather updated better than it does, but there's always the "refresh" icon)

"Notified" collects records of your notifications in an app. It's not Apple-elegant, but very useful.

"Five Icon Dock" because 5 > 4.

"My3G" brings FaceTime to mobile. (oh the irony)

"SBsettings" because, Well just because.

"PDF warning" cause you really should.

13. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I don't know if you read my post as saying, oh after jailbreaking, my battery grew! I meant that the iphone has been lasting longer doing the same tasks minus mywi before i jailbroke, and that is possible i guess

14. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

If you enable Numeric Data and (iPod touch) Percentage battery with SBSettings and then restore from a backup, these settings stay.

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

True. I was having my battery drain a bit faster after I installed MyWi and Rock. Once they were removed, my battery was back to normal.

I'm still jailbroken, just using 3G Unrestrictor and a few other things.

16. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

similar to how masturbating makes god cry, jailbreaking makes Jobs cry.

17. AnotherFanBoy thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm it seems like it generally looks like a good thing to do. Does it open up my phone to serious threats?

18. badlt1 macrumors newbie

Reply issue with email

After jailbreaking my 3gs with Jailbreakme, and 4.0.1 only issue I have noticed is I am unable to reply or forward emails. Not sure if due to jailbreak or 4.0.1, but wasn't an issue when I was jailbroke on 3.1.3 with Spirit, Anyone else notice this issue?

19. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

using the internet opens your computer up to serious threats. how you manage those threats is upto you, either on your iphone or your pc. firewall ip is a great app and arguably makes the iphone safer when its jailbroken.

20. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I tried replying to an email on my jailbreakme 3GS and I was able to send the email.

21. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

Only two that I see.

1. Somewhat weaker battery.

2. Having to restore more often - when you need to take your phone in for repair, when a new software update comes out, etc.

22. nednarm macrumors 6502

My battery was getting hammered even when I had nothing installed through cydia. It would go down 1% every few minutes of light usage, because of this I've had to go back to stock.
    I miss JB but I think I'll wait for it to become more optimized for iphone 4.

23. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Jailbroken for a week now and no
    seriously noticeable problems except
    for email threading. When I get more
    than one email from the same person
    and the number "2" appears showing
    that messages are threaded I cannot
    open those messages without exiting
    and re-entering email.

Other than that I have MyWifi, My3G,
    SBSettings, Galaxy Live Wallpaper
    running and no accelerated battery drain.