Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
As we all await the JB for 4.1, it is very clear that this effort is no simple task and it requires time to figure it out, time to prove the JB is repeatable, and time to test it thoroughly so that we, the non-paying public, can enjoy our phones the way we like it.

I laughed when someone told me it would be available a week or two after 4.1 was released. Apple is doing what it can to prevent a JB so every time the teams begin their work, it is different.

I had to replace my Jailbroken iphone 4 in August. The replacement came with 4.1 so I am in 'wait' mode with many of you.

In the mean time I offer my appreciation and thanks to those doing the heavy lifting with no monetary compensation. I look forward to the fruits of your labor in the near future.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well,..anyone who "really" knows and Understand what Jailbreak is, already knows that it is NOT a simple task, that required a lot of time and effort.

Apple is doing what it can to prevent a JB so every time the teams begin their work, it is different.

Apple is hardly doing anything different to stop jailbreaks, All they do is update and add feature to their software, like any other software they do (Safari, iTunes, OSX, etc) and like every other company that does software, when a bug, exploit or erros are found (by their own testing team, by the users, by beta tester, by security firms by jail breakers) They patch it, fix it, and release a new version or update.

Welcome to the conscious side of Jailbreaks and show your support to anyone working on the community:D.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Typical response....

Give that this board is inundated with questions about the JB, I don't share your 'really know' comment....it was a bit condescending, wasn't it?

And I don't share your opinion that Apple does nothing to stop JBs. In fact, the most recent update (4.1) went after a 'security item' that specifically blocked the JB. And why is the Dev Team so secretive? Apple from its inception has been a 'closed' system and the phone is no exception. They will do what they can to block JBs: its in their DNA.

Welcomed to being enlightened. :eek:

Well,..anyone who "really" knows and Understand what Jailbreak is, already knows that it is NOT a simple task, that required a lot of time and effort.

Apple is hardly doing anything different to stop jailbreaks, All they do is update and add feature to their software, like any other software they do (Safari, iTunes, OSX, etc) and like every other company that does software, when a bug, exploit or erros are found (by their own testing team, by the users, by beta tester, by security firms by jail breakers) They patch it, fix it, and release a new version or update.

Welcome to the conscious side of Jailbreaks and show your support to anyone working on the community:D.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Give that this board is inundated with questions about the JB, I don't share your 'really know' comment....it was a bit condescending, wasn't it?

And I don't share your opinion that Apple does nothing to stop JBs. In fact, the most recent update (4.1) went after a 'security item' that specifically blocked the JB. And why is the Dev Team so secretive? Apple from its inception has been a 'closed' system and the phone is no exception. They will do what they can to block JBs: its in their DNA.

Welcomed to being enlightened. :eek:

I am sorry that you think it was condescending because it wasn't, but if you consider it so, so be it.

Second, that is not my opinion, it is a fact of software development, 4.1 was a incremental feature update along bug fixes nothing to do related with Jailbreaking since 4.0.2 was NEVER jailbroken.

Now 4.0.2, may be the one you are referring to that it was released just to patch the whole that allow Jailbreaking, while that was the case, it was not intended to BLOCK the Jailbreake but to actually patch a very Concerning (and now public) security whole that it was not only present on mobile safari was it was also affecting Desktop Safari and iTunes.

The reason Dev teams are secretive is just because what I already explained and you don't see to understand (or want to understand), holes in software are found ALL THE TIME... however the holes use by the team are holes that Apples internal testing team haven't found yet, so releasing any information will give apple the info need about that whole to patch it (no to block the Jailbreak but because it is a B U G).

Believe me they DON"T work hard to block Jailbreaks...proof of it is that the original iphone was not Patched, all they do is try to keep their software bug free and up to date.

egorka

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
The original iPhone wasn't patched because it couldn't be, as far as I am aware, without hardware modification.

And Apple *HAS* been trying to thwart jailbreakers (and unlockers). Why did they revise the iBoot on the iPhone 3G and 3GS? Why do they require SHSH blobs to downgrade firmware...? Why the constant baseband revisions?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The original iPhone wasn't patched because it couldn't be, as far as I am aware, without hardware modification.

And Apple *HAS* been trying to thwart jailbreakers (and unlockers). Why did they revise the iBoot on the iPhone 3G and 3GS? Why do they require SHSH blobs to downgrade firmware...? Why the constant baseband revisions?

LOL wrong again...It was patch by the Jailbreak community by software it..it had nothing to do with hardware the whole was in "mobile Safari".

Same reason kid, Baseband are update all the time, it is just firmware to make the chip work. the update the baseband to reduce power comsuption, to fix bug and improve it, to add new features.

SHSH to make sure user are running most current software and no older versions.

iBoot, same reason...bugs were founds > bug were fix (who found them, some time the hackers do, sometime Apples does and those whole you never hear about it)

I've done with this argument, if you chose to be blind to the proof and facts of software development there is nothing i can do.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
I'm going to have to disagree slightly on the wording. Apple do fix vulnerabilities exploited by jailbreaks but but they're not actively preventing them because its a fruitless task. Operating systems are FULL of undiscovered vulnerabilities. Apple don't know about them until someone else finds them. They really can't do much more, once your hardware is in someone else's hands consider it compromised.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.