Jailbreaking Older iPhone that has been Factory Reset, No SIMM Card

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PointMan2, Sep 13, 2010.

1. PointMan2 macrumors newbie

As my subject states, I have an older iPhone (not sure how old, only know it's an 8 gig), that has been factory reset. I want to jailbreak it, I have the newest version of ZiPhone and have tried that with no luck. Can someone out there point me to a step-by-step or walk me through the process? Keep in mind of course, I have no SIMM card at all. Thanks everyone.

2. PointMan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has come up before and I missed it, or like something that seems blatantly simple to you guys, but I am a complete noob to iPhones and the jailbreak process. This phone was given to my cousin, but before it was, the guy did a factory reset on it. She hasn't picked up a SIM card for it yet, I thought I would try to help her out a little on the process. Little did I know how much of a pain it was going to be, I truly do appreciate any help you folks can offer.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you said it's the original iPhone with the metal back?

4. PointMan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, sorry, that was an assumption on my part. It has a black back and is a 16 gig, not 8. Sorry about the misinformation.

5. PointMan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

The model number is A1303 if that helps. If you need anything else let me know, I have it here in front of me.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok so you want to jb and unlock it? You're not using it on official carrier and no simcard to activate it either?

7. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

As long as the OS isn't 4.0.2 or 4.1, try www.jailbreakme.com - visit there on your iThing.

8. PointMan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct

9. PointMan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't visit anywhere with it right now, it will only allow "Emergency call" do to it being factory reset.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok, that seems to be an iphone 3GS.
    Any idea what firmware version it has been restored to?
    If not go here and download F0recast.
    http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/products/view/f0recast.snow
    Then let us know what it displays like what firmware version its on, baseband, bootloader etc...
    When was it reset/restored?

11. PointMan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, here's what f0recast tells me:
    Baseband: 05.14.02
    Bootlaoder: 6.4
    Model: MC131

It had been restored a couple of weeks before I got my hands on it as I understand, (of course I also managed to restore it myself just yesterday while I was trying to figure things out).

Also the phone is a 3GS and the Firmware version is 4.1.

Thanks again for the help.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

From the looks of it your out of luck.
    Do you knoW if the phone was jb before and if it has shsh saved on cydias server in order to downgrade?

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

I think you are out of luck for the moment. I don't believe there is a public jailbreak for 4.1 on either the 3GS or 4. You may have to wait until the new jailbreak is released, which hopefully will be soon.
    Though it is possible that the phone was previously jailbroken, and if so you could possibly downgrade to the older firmware.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And if u can downgrade in order to jb you still won't be able to unlock it since the baseband has been updated with the 4.1 restore. So your sol for now.

15. PointMan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Kinda what I was thinking after I read a few of the threads on here. If someone could PM me when the new jb is released it would be great, I usually don't prowl these forums, I just happened to come across this one while looking for a way to jb and unlock this iPhone.

I have no idea if it's been jb before either. The guy that gave it to her reset it then handed it to her, so I doubt if she knows either.

16. PointMan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any news on a jailbreak and unlock for 4.1 yet? I read through some of the topics, but it seems like there's a lot of fake stuff out there and not being overly knowledgeable on this stuff I'd rather trust to the guys in the know and just ask.

Thanks

17. PointMan2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like jailbreak for 4.1 is out, anyone out there patient enough to walk me through the process? I'm pretty green at this and like I stated earlier, there is no SIMM card either.