Jailbreaking: One man's experience and opinion

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by elgrecomac, Aug 13, 2010.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

After holding off on jail breaking for 2 years, I finally bit the bullet and jail broke my iphone 4 about 3 weeks ago. Here was my experience:
    1. Jail breaking was very easy. I went to the website and just did it. I know if there are issues I will need to re-install the OS on the phone but, for me, that's not a big deal.
    2. Cydia and Rock were easy to interact with...not as easy as the iTunes store, but none the less, pretty easy.
    3. I downloaded MyFi and Alanaz Glass Orb(theme) from Cydia and I got My 3G from Rock. The installs went smoothly but it took some time to figure out how the software works best.
    4. Tethering works. Period. And with an unlimited data plan...lucky me.
    5. 'My 3G' and 3G FaceTime works. And with an unlimited data plan...lucky me.
    6. The Alanaz theme is very cool.

At the end of the day, it is very much worth it. I know that when the next big OS upgrade comes I will have some re-work to do once the jailbreak software is ready...yes, there will be a few week's lag behind the release and the break but that's OK.

:cool:

2. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Cool story, but it's a re-run. I'll wait for the sequel.

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Glad it worked out for you. I wouldn't have installed Rock on my phone however as Rock and Cydia seem to have issues with one another.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I used to jailbreak my 3G but really don't see a reason to do the i4. I mainly jailbroke for video capability. I don't really have reason to tether and don't care about all the custom widgets, etc.

Definitely a supporter of the cause but for me it's lost its luster. I'll just stick with Apple's stuff for now.

5. DeLoMan macrumors regular

I jailbreak solely for LockInfo and BiteSMS. Apple should include apps like these in the iOS 4 software.

6. jcole31 macrumors regular

I go through phases. When a new jailbreak comes out I usually try it and play around with it for a couple weeks. I usually always end up restoring the phone and going the stock route. I find most of the winterboard themes to be pretty hideous.

7. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

It hasn't even been a full two weeks yet. Time flies. ;)

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Rock and Cydia have been rock solid, nonpun intended

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm glad this turned out ok for you. I did not JB my 3GS, and don't plan on doing it with my iP4 unless there is a great need to do so.

10. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I jailbroke my phone for the My3g feature. My wife and I travel a ton and with a little one in the house, we use the facetime feature quite often. My3g works perfectly without worrying if we are in a wifi zone or not. Sometimes even having to make a quick call from the bathroom of a business dinner....

11. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

3G Unrestricter is reason enough.

12. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

SBSettings. End of. Until Apple implement a similar system I'll always jailbreak for this.