Jailbreaking problem on 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by creationtwenty2, Dec 4, 2009.

1. creationtwenty2 macrumors member

Hi there,

I just bought a 16GB 3GS and as I was using a Jailbroken 3G prior to this, I wanted to get my 3GS Jailbroken too.

I'm running 3.12 and just downloaded the official Pwnage Tool and ran it.

I select 'iPhone 3GS', click 'No' when it asks if my phone has already been JAilbroken, and it builds the .ipsw fine and saves it.

It then appears to get stuck on the 'connect device to USB' screen.

It is obviously recongnising that the phone is connected as if I switch it off or disconnect it, it says 'Unable to enter DFU' however it never gets past the 'connect device' screen if I simply leave it.

I've tried putting the phone in recovery mode manually and restoring from the custom .ipsw through iTunes but it is not recognized as compatible, presumably because I'm missing the DFU step from Pwnage Tool.

I've tried a fresh restore and also tried with iTunes closed and open and nothing seems to work.

If anyone could explain how to solve this that would be great.

2. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

and i guess you have baseband 05.11

only one thing to say here: read the dev team blog.
    a good hint: geohot and blackra1n is nice to know about. it also says that on the blog from dev team.

3. creationtwenty2 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply,

I didn't realise Blackra1n was my only option.

Ok so I've tried Blackra1n and I'm having problems there too (I know, I know, amateur!!!!)

I run Blackra1n and it says it will be complete after reboot, but the phone goes into recovery mode and boots to the iTunes restore screen...

I'm sure theres a simple answer, but I don't know what it is.

Thanks

4. creationtwenty2 thread starter macrumors member

Ah ok so I see this is correct from reading the blog as it's a tethered jailbreak.

So how do I get it out of recovery mode once Blackra1n has run?

5. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

try installing a custom firmware. then do the process with blackra1n again.

you can first try to kick the phone in to DFU mode and kick it out again to see if that helps.

this is where google comes in to help on getting it in to DFU mode :)

i would advice on google for a guide on using blackra1n :)

or search the forum here.

6. creationtwenty2 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks very much for your advice.

I managed to get it booted ok by running Blackra1n again,

Just one more thing, is it possible to sync with iTunes (music etc) as normal once Blackra1n is installed?

7. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

yes it is just don't do any official updates for the phone from iTunes. then it will go back to be operator locked again.

read up all you can on dev teams blog :)

good luck with you iPhone

8. boomer9000 macrumors newbie

Unlocking

I have both a 3G and a 3Gs - both running 3.1.2. and 05.11.07 - and offcourse I have the boot-issue as everyone else on the 3Gs after week 40, but…

What happens if I pay to get it unlocked ??? that should do the same? or what?
    Because if an official unlock code can make this go away, there should be no problem reverse-engerneering a code like that, so I guess that problem will persist after unlocking legally or what?

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Factory unlock codes unlock your phone in an entirely different way. They do not require a jailbreak, and so your phone will not be tethered. When one pays for an official unlock (in countries where it is available), one's carrier requests the unlock from Apple, which sends the code to iTunes the next time you sync. Presto: unlock.

The mechanism behind the factory unlock is well known, but there is not a way to exploit it and there is no evidence that the unlock codes are in any way algorithmic. Unlock codes are presumably generated randomly at the time of manufacture and kept in a secure database somewhere at Apple. It is therefore not possible to "reverse engineer" such a code.

10. boomer9000 macrumors newbie

aaaahhhh

OK, because when I got my 3G unlocked from the company there was no problem, and there shouldn't be with the 3Gs either...

11. urvesh macrumors newbie

Can you please let me know how you got this done exactly - the steps? i am facing the same problem of getting into the recovery loop after jailbreaking and unlocking my 3GS 16GB v3.1.2 with blackra1n and ultrasn0w. Thanks

12. boomer9000 macrumors newbie

its actually quite simple, as (if you are on a 3Gs) have to do a "tethered boot".
    If you are in an S, after jailbreaking, connect the phone and run blackra1n to boot. The program tells you to.
    If you are on a 3G you don't need to connect the phone. Only the GS needs to be.

13. urvesh macrumors newbie

Just got my iPhone working, after jailbreaking (blackra1n) and unlocking using blacksn0w. Got the reference to use blacksn0w to unlock the 3GS with baseband 5.11 at Dev Team's blog. By using blacksn0w, it doesn't ask/need to be rebooted and hence i do not enter the recovery loop. thanks.

14. boomer9000 macrumors newbie

Alright, some do, some don't, but remember, that if you run out of battery or turn off your phone, you have to have it tethered to boot it up again, or else you'lll not come any further than the recovery mode...

I just jailbreaked/jailbroke 500 iPhone 3Gs in 22 hrs. so I know, trust me :)

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Apparently you are outside of the US.