Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
I'm having what I think is a stupid problem when trying to jailbreak my iPad. I plug it into a USB port on my PC and shut down the iPad. However, it doesn't stay off for very long. It turns itself back on. I try again to turn it off and it comes back on. What's going on and how can I stop this from happening? Do I need to restore?

firemedicmark

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2005
first off, it's supposed to do that when you plug it in.

second, how are you going to JB with your ipad off?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
first off, it's supposed to do that when you plug it in.

second, how are you going to JB with your ipad off?
In order to get it into DFU mode (to start the jailbreaking process) it's suggested that it be off first. However, I've had this issue with my iPhone and all you need to do is hold the power and home button till it forces it back off. Then quickly do what the instructions tell you to get it into DFU mode.

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
In order to get it into DFU mode (to start the jailbreaking process) it's suggested that it be off first. However, I've had this issue with my iPhone and all you need to do is hold the power and home button till it forces it back off. Then quickly do what the instructions tell you to get it into DFU mode.

Thanks for your help. I was so used to having the device stay off when I jb my i4, so having it always turn itself back on when hooked up was a little weird. It's looking like the jb finally took. I just hope an untethered jb comes before Christmas like I read somewhere.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for your help. I was so used to having the device stay off when I jb my i4, so having it always turn itself back on when hooked up was a little weird. It's looking like the jb finally took. I just hope an untethered jb comes before Christmas like I read somewhere.
I'm glad you got it working. I'm hoping the untethered jailbreak comes soon as well.

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
I have yet another problem. Does Winterboard not work with iPad? I installed it and after it rebooted, I tried running redsn0w again and it doesn't work and is stuck on the apple. I can't even enter DFU mode. What do I do now? I'd even be willing to restore and re-jb, this time without Winterboard.
:mad::mad::mad:

OK...I can finally enter DFU to restore, but why am I having problems with Winterboard?

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have yet another problem. Does Winterboard not work with iPad? I installed it and after it rebooted, I tried running redsn0w again and it doesn't work and is stuck on the apple. I can't even enter DFU mode. What do I do now? I'd even be willing to restore and re-jb, this time without Winterboard.
:mad::mad::mad:

OK...I can finally enter DFU to restore, but why am I having problems with Winterboard?

It's a tethered jailbreak. When you install Winterboard, the iPad reboots, which leaves you stuck at the Apple logo, because that's what happens with tethered JB every time you reboot. When that happens, you put the iPad into DFU, run redsn0w, and check "reboot tetherd." No need to restore.

Sounds like you just had problems entering DFU when you tried to run redsn0w, but everything else is expected behavior. DFU can be hard to invoke when you aren't used to it, expect to have to try a few times before successfully entering DFU.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It's a tethered jailbreak. When you install Winterboard, the iPad reboots, which leaves you stuck at the Apple logo, because that's what happens with tethered JB every time you reboot. When that happens, you put the iPad into DFU, run redsn0w, and check "reboot tetherd." No need to restore.

Sounds like you just had problems entering DFU when you tried to run redsn0w, but everything else is expected behavior. DFU can be hard to invoke when you aren't used to it, expect to have to try a few times before successfully entering DFU.
To make things even more confusing the OP may have rebooted without being tethered before installing Winterboard or anything that used MobileSubstrate as this is a semi-tethered jailbreak.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA

I've had problems similar to the OP. After doing the (semi)tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak, I had to go through a couple of reboots and successfully did the "reboot tethered" in redsn0w. However, after the iPad rebooted when I installed MyWi, I couldn't get it to fully power off so I could follow the recommended sequence to get into DFU mode. My iPad just hung at the Apple logo when I tried to power it off. However, by holding the power and home buttons for 30 seconds, I got it into recovery mode (with the "connect me to iTunes" graphic). From there, I was able to get to DFU mode with the normal sequence.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I've had problems similar to the OP. After doing the (semi)tethered 4.2.1 jailbreak, I had to go through a couple of reboots and successfully did the "reboot tethered" in redsn0w. However, after the iPad rebooted when I installed MyWi, I couldn't get it to fully power off so I could follow the recommended sequence to get into DFU mode. My iPad just hung at the Apple logo when I tried to power it off. However, by holding the power and home buttons for 30 seconds, I got it into recovery mode (with the "connect me to iTunes" graphic). From there, I was able to get to DFU mode with the normal sequence.

Yeah, I never did manage to get my iPad powered off either. I ended up ignoring the instructions that came with redsn0w, and getting into DFU mode the way I always do, which is, plug in iDevice to computer, hold power and home until I hear the USB disconnect sound, then let go of power while keeping my finger on home and hold on until I hear the USB connect sound. I'm not sure if this works on a Mac, but going by the USB connect/disconnect sounds always works nicely on Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.