Jailbreaking Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Kosherdyl, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Kosherdyl macrumors newbie

Hi, I have an ipod touch w/ the newest firmware. I still have a years warenty on it. I was wondering what the pros and cons of jailbreaking are. Also is there surcurity problems w/ it
    Ex- like your itunes pass being learned by the softwear

2. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

If you mean 3.1.3, you can jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.2. If 3.1.2, you can use PWNage tool (mac) or blackra1n (win + mac)

Pros: You can change iPod themes, you can get paid apps for free (THIS IS ILLEGAL) you can get cool system apps, like having stacks or more than 4 items on your dock, you can install 3rd party apps.

Cons: Voids warranty, although if you restore (one click of a button) to the regular firmware there is no way apple can tell and reactivates your warranty, anyone can upload apps so you have to be careful what apps you download (make sure it is from a trusted repository) apps can also be illegal, so be careful again, and some iPods can only be jailbroken with a tether, meaning whenever the system turns off for any reason you have to rejailbreak it (not hard w/ blackra1n or redsn0w) Tell me what model you have (Settings>General>About and then find model #) to know if you can have an untethered jailbreak or if it needs to be tethered.

Security: In a very rare case you can get a virus; I have never heard of this happening.

Hope I helped :)

3. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Note that this is only true if you have a 2G Touch or older. If you have a current model Touch, you can't jailbreak 3.1.3 at all, unless you had previously jailbroken under 3.1.2, which it doesn't sound like the OP has.

Just a minor correction; there is no "reactivation" involved. If you restore (and set up as a new device, NOT from a backup!) then Apple never knows anything was amiss and therefore never voids your warranty. I know what you're trying to say, but it's a bit misleading to word it that way ;)

Any iPod that would have a tethered jailbreak will not be able to jailbreak under 3.1.3 (unless it has a 3.1.2 SHSH stored with Saurik, which again it doesn't sound like the OP has done). Check this thread for further details. For purposes of this discuss, a 3G Touch is equivalent to an iPhone 3GS, and the 1G/2G Touch are equivalent to the original iPhone. Also, unlocking obviously doesn't apply ;)

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

do not suggest to members that they can get pirated apps, as this isnt allowed on this forum.

there are no viruses for the iphone/ipod touch. there were 2 cases where they were warning viruses but not actual viruses. they were designed to show users what can happen if you dont change your root and mobile password. this is applies if you have openssh installed. if you install openssh, also download mobile terminal. open mobile terminal, type in "su", then type the password "alpine", and confirm it. then type "passwd", and choose ur new password. then after that type "login mobile", then the password is "alpine", confirm, etc...then type "passwd" again, and choose a new password...preferably the one u chose for root.