Jailbreaking Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Nyy8, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502

Nyy8

So, Whats up guys? Its been awhile since I jailbroke my iPod Touch (it was a 2g) and running 4.2.1. Now, fast forward a year later I have a an iPhone 4. Now I find my internet is unreabile at times, and wanted to know if there is any apps that share my phones internet connection with my computer? This will be my main reason for JBing.

Now, my next question is with iCloud backups will I be able to restore from icloud backups if I need too? or will the JB files still be there.

Also, What do I use? Im on iOS 5.0.1 with an iP4

Last question, I know alot of questions. Could I just click update and all the JB files will go away and it will update or is there a special way?

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

1) several apps provide tethering from phone to computer; tetherme, mywi, pdanet

2) restoring a backup only does something with your personal settings, contacts, txt, music, etc. restoring a backup from icloud brings those back but does nothing to your JB files or apps. Only a firmware update does that.

3) for jailbreaking use redsn0w 9.10b5c from:
    http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

4) When jailbroken it is better to put your phone in DFU mode if you want to restore a firmware version.

3. tateu macrumors 6502

I can only confirm this for backups to your local computer. I have not tried it with an iCloud backup.

If you create a local backup while jailbroken, restore to an unjailbroken state using iTunes and then setup your device with the backup created while jailbroken, there are definately some jailbroken files that get transferred over. I saw jailbroken preference files in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences. I don't think this will cause any problems unless you leave your device unjailbroken and bring it in for warranty repair. There is a possibility that Apple could see the leftover jailbreak preference files and refuse warranty service.

4. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nyy8

Thanks, tateu and TriJetHero for the responses. Ill probably gonna end up jailbreaking, I miss having my custom themes :D. Just make sure to restore it clean if I go to the apple store. ;)