JailBreaking Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MicroApple, Aug 1, 2010.

1. MicroApple macrumors regular

First iPhone, first JailBreak questions.

Warning: I know some to most of these questions can be answered by surfing the web but I wanted updated answers as the newer JailBreak may lead to different results.

Device:
    • iPhone 4
    • iOS 4.0.1

Questions:
    1. I have AppleCare 2 years if something happens can I do a DFU and have no traces of the jailbreak with the new jailbreak.
    2. Have their been any statistics of bricking the iPhone with the old jailbreaks or the new jailbreaks. What are the chances my phone will brick and if it does can I restore it in anyway. (If the PSP bricked during a custom firmware install their was a Pandora Battery to fix it)
    3. Will my current movies, music, apps, ringtones, settings remain.
    4. If I do a restore of a previous backup on iTunes will I keep the jailbreak firmware or will it revert to iOS 4.0.1 or will it brick.
    5. Can I still install apps from the App Store / iTunes Store?
    6. What if I want to upgrade my phone from a jailbreak firmware to a new official iPhone firmware such as iOS 4.2. How would I go about doing this?
    7. Does Apple have a history/plan to, due to the new laws, to brick phones purposely OTA or through iTunes if they are jailbroken. (Sony did this with the PSP)
    8. Can I create backups of my Jailbroken firmware?
    9. Is any part of this still illegal? (Other than downloading illegal apps like Emulators)
    10. This one might sound stupid. Can I get it "professionally" jail broken (meaning go to one of those small self-made wireless stores that jailbreak it for you) and do they usually cover the phone if they brick it.
    11. I am a Apple Developer, how does this affect me and my membership and my ability to do on-Device debugging/testing.

Thanks for any help.

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

This is my knowledge from jailbreaking several iPhones/Touches for myself and friends. Not sure how the eventual iP4 jailbreak may change things... But either way here is how things stand:

1. Yeah, restoring the iPhone erases ALL traces of the jailbreak. You're fine there.
    2. Slim chance of bricking. And besides, a restore nearly ALWAYS fixes it.
    3. Yes.
    5. Yes.
    9. No. Unless you have moral/religious issues with it.
    10. Yes probably. But it's not too bad just to do it by yourself.

3. FrauHasSpoken macrumors member

Wrong forum. You're an app dev and don't know these simple questions? Mmkay.

4. MicroApple thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, in #2 by restore you mean a DFU can restore the bricked iPhone I assume?

5. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Give the iTunes "Restore" option a try first. DFU as last resort IMO.

6. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Dude, seriously? He could be a new developer and may want clarification on some key points...

7. MicroApple thread starter macrumors regular

Dear Mr.Moron,

Because I am a developer doesn't mean I know everything about jailbreaks. I find all my questions to be reasonable to the average person. I am a developer I know how to program how does that make me have some sort of extraordinary knowledge in this subject unless I helped develop the jailbreak. Name one question that I asked that a developer should have learned in college or through experience of using the iPhone SDK.

As for the wrong forum I'm sorry about that, if a mod can move it, I would be grateful.

8. MicroApple thread starter macrumors regular

OK thanks, then this seems reasonable for me to do if some other developers can clear up my question about the SDK.

Thanks for the help. :)

9. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

10. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

Anyone else kinda on the fence for jailbreaking their phone? I am kinda leaning towards not doing it. I believe jailbreaking your phone will open it up to be more acceptable of viruses and cause problems down the road. It also voids your warranty!

11. MicroApple thread starter macrumors regular

I am on the fence and am not sure. Don't worry about viruses though just make sure everything you download is reviewed and everything. The warranty however people in this thread are saying you can do a DFU and Apple accepts it.

12. magiclaffs macrumors member

Fence sitting too

I've read as many of the msgs here about people complaining of "bricking" their Iphone 4 after doing the JB. Most of them weren't bricked, but just failures in doing the restore process.

But I have to admit, the whole idea of taking my 2 week old Iphone 4 and turning it into an expensive paperweight weighs against (at least for me) some of the benefits of JB. I DON'T like Apple (or any corp) telling me how to use what I paid good money for.

Anyone else out there with good reasons to push me over the fence- just an honest question.