Jailbreaking risks

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by VaatiKaiba, Jul 9, 2009.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

This is probably quite basic, but I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing:

1) Is it possible to brick an iPod touch 2G running 3.0 by jailbreaking?
    2) If it is bricked, can you restore the original OS (or restore to backup) or is it completely defunct?
    3) Provided that one checks for any issues with an unofficial app before installing it, are there any other situations where the iPod would be unusable from jailbreaking?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I'll probably end up doing it with RedSn0w, I presume this is correct?

2. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking is completely safe, and an iPod cannot be bricked by jailbreaking. No matter what it looks like, the iPod can always be restored in either DFU Mod or Recovery Mode.

And yes, you would use redsn0w. Happy jailbreaking!

3. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

That's brilliant, thanks. However, I'm going to have to ask some probably obvious questions: how do I get into DFU / recovery mode if something goes wrong?

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

The biggest risk is becoming reliant on a Cydia app and then having to decide between upgrading to the next version of OS and losing access to that Cydia app, or keeping the app and not getting the features of the new OS! :D

To get an iPhone/iPod touch into DFU mode, you can follow this page. It is the same procedure that Pwnage/Quickpwn will take you through when jailbreaking in the first place, so at least you will have done it once before if you need to restore. ;)

5. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

If you jailbreak, your screen may crack. The window is the easiest way for your little prisoners inside the iPod touch to escape.