Jailbreaking Security Concerns

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kevo1011, Oct 3, 2010.

1. kevo1011 macrumors regular

I have just jailbroke my 3g runnning 3.1.3. I have a few questions. I jb with jailbreakme.com and then installed the PDF app from Cydis to secure that section. I did not install open ssh, but Cydia is installed. Do I still need to change the mobile and root passwords? Next, I have several apps that connect to my pc such as Logmein, Orb, & Sugarsync. I have other apps that I do not want to be effected such as Ebay and banking. What are the chances of a virus effecting my pc through by jb iphone if I run the app? Last, how safe are Cydia apps? I am concerned about getting a virus if I download the wrong app?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There are no viruses on the iPhone. You only need to change your root/mobile password if you have OpenSSH install. Your PC cannot get infected through your iPhone or by using any app on your iPhone. Cydia apps are quite safe. If one doesn't look good, then don't install it.

Lastly: Google is your friend, ask it everything first, then ask here if your problem has not been solved.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That's assuming you don't add sources. Custom sources can dangerous. Stick to the ones installed by default if you are not sure.

4. kevo1011 thread starter macrumors regular

Thx

I did try Google, but was not happy with the results.

I am new to JB community. What are the sources you are talking about? I saw it in Cydia, but that it?

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Exactly. The only other source I have on my phone is David Ashmans for LockInfo.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Chicken Little wrote a very nice article why you shouldn't jailbreak.
    http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2009/03/please_dont_jailbreak_your_iphone.php

When a douche bag says jail breaking is a security risk and is used by drug dealers to control cell towers, well I wanted to be part of that group. (sarcasm)

Jailbreak, enjoy your new phone, and keep up with the happenings of the jailbreak world. If something should occur, doubtful, we can always restore and be comforted by the vanilla blanket ios

7. kevo1011 thread starter macrumors regular

Thx

Thanks for the info. I am just over concerned about it. I didn't want to open up a bigger cyber hole for something to happen. I was just concerned about apps connecting to my pc and other ones like banking. I did not want a Cydia app stealing passwords or effecting me with a virus that crashes my pc.