jailbreaking... should i?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewroth, Sep 23, 2008.

1. matthewroth macrumors member

Hello all,

I have had my white 16GB for about 2 months now. love it, love everything about it (almost) and just wanted to know, should i quickpwn it?

I had a 1st gen iPhone and I bricked it...badly. I was devastated. but i miss things; my own theme, icons, REMOVING USELESS STOCK APPS!, tap to unlock and all the other little fancies that you cant get with a stock iPhone.

now on to the questions.

1) has any one had a similar experience (broke 1st gen now has a 3G) can you compare the phones 'bounce back ability'?

2) I may have taken it too far last time (obviously...it broke!) can anyone give me a list of things to steer clear of?

3) the main question... should I? I like to think that I have learned from my mistakes but at the end of the day, if I cock it up will I be stuck with a contract and no phone.

cheers guys

Matt :apple:

2. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I will probably get flamed for this but personally I think Jailbreaking an iPhone is a bad idea. You have learned first hand why it shouldn't be done. Sure, not everyone bricks their phones but the risk vs the cost is too great IMHO.

I try to help iPhone users here on the forum but as soon as I see anything about jailbreaking in their post, I move on. Not worth my time dealing with users who insist on hacking something that really shouldn't be hacked.

3. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

jailbreaking with the new pwnage tool is very easy and safe, but I wouldn't go overboard in downloading unofficial apps, some of them aren't safe. also are you sure that you completely bricked your old iphone? there should be a way to fix it because I haven't seen an iphone that was in an irreversible software brick yet

4. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Yes, jailbreak - its gives you so much more freedom and control

Essentially, bricking is a myth unless you are fiddling with the bootloader in ways that no one has advised you to - there's a 99% chanec that your bricked 1st gen can be fixed...

Pwnage especially is perfectly safe - there have been NO reported problems with pwnage, especially as you are just jailbreaking, not unlocking

doobs

5. matthewroth thread starter macrumors member

two things

first of... yes. my frist iphone could probably have been recovered, but at that time i had no idea what i was doing... young and nieve.

second... i jailbroke last night. LOVE IT

6. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Good on ya. I couldnt go back to a virgin iPhone.