Jailbreaking + spam messages sent from Gmail?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Hambones, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Hambones macrumors member

I jailbroke 2 days ago with Jailbreakme.com and this morning I check my sent box in my email and there has been account access from Lithuania (I'm from US) for sending spam.

I assume once a jailbreak comes out the code is clean, as it's probably looked at through a few people - so is this sheer coincidence (my acct was either hacked or pw was stolen from another computer) or could there potentially be some security vulnerabilities/malware installed with the jailbreak?

Thanks.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The jailbreaking code was made public already, you can go check it yourself on te ircs channels, there is not hidden code or anything but a simple overflow to get root access and them loading cydia. You account just got hack at the same time (or maybe have been hacked for a while).

Now, if you visited another 'unknown' site, and download something else them that could be, the hole use to jailbreak is present on all IOs devices (jailbroken or not), so technically someone else could use it to load crap in your phone.

3. Hambones thread starter macrumors member

4. Milanista macrumors newbie

Strange... it happened to me and a friend at the same time. It sent some spammy websites to people on our contact lists. Both of us jailbroke our iPhone 4.

5. Hambones thread starter macrumors member

These emails were sent to people NOT on the contacts list.

Was yours gmail? If so, where did the IP address originate from?

You can check recent access to your account (gmail). Just scroll to the very bottom of your inbox and click the Details link next to 'Last account activity.'

6. Milanista macrumors newbie

I didn't actually know they were sent until 2 days later when a friend of mine informed me. When I checked recent IP, it only had mine - is there a way of going further back?

7. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Very odd.
    I would get the pdf blocker from cydia. Maybe someone took advantage of apples stupidity.