Jailbreaking the iPad - Think it is going to be easy?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Crath, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Crath macrumors newbie

I am currently waiting for apple to update the MBP 13"s... (it will be my first mac) and it is taking forever. In my downtime, I just bought a 12" tablet pc on ebay for $150 and plan to put ubuntu on it. It got me thinking, what If we could put OSX, or even ubuntu on an ipad?

The reason the iphone software wouldnt really work for me is that i need to install python and do python software development. I don't want to rely on some server somewhere and always ssh and connect with wifi.

Is there other discussions on this I could read? what are your thoughts?

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

The only way you're going to get an OS on the iPad is if it is compiled for ARM processors. This definitely rules out OS X. I'm not sure what platforms Ubuntu (or other Linux flavors) are available for. I'm guessing there are some that work on ARM.

Jailbroken iPhones can already run a build of python (remember that iPhone OS, whether on the iPhone, iPad, etc., has Darwin as its base just like OS X does, so essentially Unix is already running on these devices). So as long as someone figures out how to jailbreak the iPad, running python on the existing OS shouldn't be a problem. I don't know how great of an experience it's going to be doing development right on the iPad.

3. kevhui macrumors regular

But iPad is designed as a MID, not a fullscale computer.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I bet it will be a piece of cake for the Dev Team to release a jailbreak for the iPad os a few weeks after it comes out or maybe sooner..

5. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

Why did you put linux on a tablet PC? Unless something has changed recently, my understanding is that Linux has little/no support for pen computing. I.e. you just paid a bunch of money for hardware that probably doesn't work on Ubuntu (at least it didn't support the digitizer on mine as recent as 8 months ago).

Second, why would you develop software on a tablet/iPad? Developing software on a tablet using a touch or pen interface is the absolute last way I would want to write code. While I don't write python, with the languages I write just accessing all the non-letter symbols needed to code on a mobile platform would drive me bonkers. I like coding with a keyboard, because I can translate my thoughts to code in near real time.

I think you should be definitely looking into a 13" MBP to meet your needs, not a iPad or a tablet. If you want linux buy a cheap netbook and roll your own optimized kernel.

I'm not trying to be mean with this post, but I code on a keyboard, and I use my mobile platforms (UMPC and formerly a tablet, and a iPhone) for computing tasks that are appropriate to them.

6. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

I'm not super up to date on the Jailbreaking scene so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Jailbreak for the current iphone 3GS really incomplete? It's my understanding that Apple is getting better at preventing this type of thing.

7. nigelquest macrumors member

What tablet pc did you buy for $150???

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The iPhones haven't posed a prob so why would the iPad? In fact, should be easier since there is no phone and the 3G is already unlocked. Plus no partners to protect.

9. Crath thread starter macrumors newbie

@ touchscreen on linux - It works out of the box now, like a lot of things (you would be surprised what works automatically now). A few people really dug into working on the wacom drivers for ubuntu and now they work on almost every touch device very well.

@ devloping. I'd use an external keyboard for sure. The reason I wouldn't mind using a tablet for this is because its going to be a docked machine most of its life. I will dock it to my 24" monitor at home with my usb keyboard and mouse, then at work with my monitor and usb keyboard and mouse. I will still do odds and end stuff while mobile (and still need to be able to be mobile with it) but nothing crazy coding wise. Also, a tablet would be awesome for misc surfing and goofing off, as well as for school :)

yeah, im really looking into a 13" mbp, just figured i'd entertain the idea of an ipad while im bored waiting for apple to release them... still...

10. fraggot macrumors 6502

Well they have made a tad bit harder for the newer versions of the 3Gs and iPod Touch. Maybe they've really stepped up their game with the iPad. I was once a jailbreaker but I just couldn't get on board with the lag it comes with.

I just don't see it as that worth it to sacrifice the speed and snappyness of the device to put some "artsy" background on my springboard.

Maybe it'd be different on the iPad but they may have already cured it for a lot of people by allowing a background image on your springboard.

11. Crath thread starter macrumors newbie

Fujitsu ST5032D. They are only a few years old, but the ubuntu support for them is great! It has usb ports, vga out, ethernet, wifi etc so it would be perfect.

Here is a picture: link

There are a few for sale on ebay right now, but ending soon. you can snag them for under $200 shipped.

12. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

Well judging by craiglist entries of iPod Touch for sale, the main reason for jailbreaking seems to be app piracy. Ever second touch seems to be jailbroken and touting access to unlimited applications for free.

13. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

I think it is going to be a serious enough challenge that it will not be accomplished for quite some time after launch and even then, not in a point and click way that all users can do on their own.

Remember the 3rd generation Touch and later model iPhone 3gS? There still isnt a non tethered JB. The iPad will be running a new, undocumented chip with (I think) a ton of custom security by Apple and also (I think) be running a major new OS version when launched. Apple has been getting better and better at security with each OS and hardware release, and while I dont think they will ever achieve perfect security I do think they can make things difficult enough that the mass market gives up on JB'ing and leaves it to the tiny fraction of really hardcore users. Which effectively makes JB'ing irrelevant.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I doesn't matter what it was designed for if it can do something else that's useful, and putting a full OS on makes it far more than a Mid.

The 3GS is powerful enough to eliminate any lag JBing caused on the earlier phones, and by all reports the iPad has double the 3GS' RAM and processor. There will be zero lag on this device regardless of how many MS extensions you are running. (If you don't know what a MS extension is you have no valid opinion on whether JBing will impact. performance)

While that is what's listed in the ads, that's not the main reason for jailbreaking.

OP, whether you can put Linux on the iPad is secondary to whether Ubuntu will be able to communicate with the iPad's hardware. Almost three years down the line and no one has Ubuntu running on the iPhone.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

16. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Yes they cured it because everyone knows that the only thing you can do with a jailbroken device is change the background.

17. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

Sure and Bit Torrent isn't mainly used for sharing copyrighted files. :D

Hard to know what the main reason is, but it certainly seems to be the main reason on the jailbreak models advertised for sale.

How many really good unapproved apps are there that really make this a big deal for legit reasons?

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

SBSettings (one touch access to major setting controls), Backgrounder, Bluetooth Keyboard, AppBackup (backs up app data on an individual app basis), Categories and other apps that allow you to put apps into folders or otherwise organize your apps, Rename to edit the apps' display names, LockInfo and other apps that show calendar, weather, and other useful info on your lockscreen, StatusNotifier and other apps that improve push notification, Weather Icon and Live Clock shows real weather and time info on your Weather and Clock icons...

Basically, all sorts of OS enhancements that Apple doesn't have the time or inclincation to implement themselves become possible with jailbreak.

19. mac jones macrumors 68040

I don't think it will be very long before they hack this puppy.

There are some pretty dedicated deviants out there ;)

20. CactusHawk macrumors regular

There are quite a few "legit" apps or reasons for JB.
    SBSettings, Backgrounder (for multitasking), TVout (which I use to project my iPhone screen onto my home 50" plazma or my work monitor)...the list could go on and on. I have never even looked at a pirated app.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That sounds like someone whose only knowledge of Jailbreaking comes from alarmist articles.

Besides Emulators, which are questionable.

Playback of non-iTunes video formats.

Video Recorders which are better on older iPhones than the ones offered in the App Store

Themes for icons

Themes for the entire OS

One swipe access to toggles such as wifi, 3g, ssh, auto rotation, etc.

Ability to hide unwanted apps.

Ability to free up RAM.

Various Lock Screen mods that display useful info.

Small system hacks that change certain functionality

Running background processes.

Task switchers for toggling between running processes.

Unrestricted app usage on 3G.

Tethering.

Creating Wifi Hotpspots.

Unlocking for other carriers (which is debateably legit but not piracy)

Various launchers and springboard organizers.

Controlling when and how you access your iPod controls.

Copy & Paste long before Apple provided (no longer neede but an example of a legit JB app)

Support for bluetooth keyboards

Safari downloading, which has the side benefit of opening links in new tabs.

Robust mail attachment support

File system access, and storage as an external drive

A more robust copy & paste pop up menu

Replying to Text Message from within the pop-up dialog which eliminates the need to quit what you are doing.

Dashboard-style widgets.

Creating ringtones from songs you already own.

A more robust Calendar App.

A firewall

Modifications to spotlight that search the web and specific locations.

Haptic feedback

Better management of you recent calls and voicemail.

Google Voice

This list is by no means complete, but as you can see, the majority of useful JB apps center around increasing your phone's functionality, not piracy.

Since the AppStore doesn't allow demos, one of the legit uses for the piracy app is to try apps out first. Assuming you then buy the app if you keep it.

PS. I've been JBing from day one and have zero pirated apps.

22. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

I didn't read it in an article. I was checking online listings for used Touch models. It just seemed to be all about piracy.

??? As I can see? A couple of issues with this statement. First you provided the list so it doesn't prove that lack of piracy, second piracy would just be using pirated versions of paid apps. Which I think there is plenty of evidence out there of that happening.

News to me. AFAIK there are quite a few apps that have free and paid versions. But I see your point. I mean you can't be expected to risk your 99 cents on an app you might not like in the end. :rolleyes:

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Those 99 cents add up! The other day I was looking for an alarm clock app, and ended up trying about a dozen before I found one I liked.

24. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

Does it support mouse clicks only or can you actually input text somehow?

If so I'd be interested since my Windows Tablet PC has horrendous software and even worse performance. Might breathe some life into it.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Of course there is also piracy, but you asked how many useful apps there were for legit purposes.

What about $5+ games and $20+ nav apps?