Jailbreaking the iPhones and iPads in Apple stores

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Savage, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

I presume this is going to become an interesting problem for Apple (for as long as you can jailbreak on the device itself). They have the jailbreak website blocked on their WiFi but on 3G you can jailbreak the devices on display in the store.

I except to get a lot of hate for doing this, but it was quite enjoyable to watch people pick up the phones we jailbroke today (a Mountain Dew theme, Android theme, moving wallpaper, and a few other things across like 5 different phones and 1 iPad).

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

Dood, you're now the coolest person on the internets

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I seems they have (or are in the process of) fixing that issue. They are redirecting the JB website in most stores through their local store network to apple.com.

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

You're just so bright, no wonder your mother calls you son.

6. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

You didn't have to tell me that but thanks anyway.

On WiFi, yes. If you turn WiFi off and use 3G, no.

7. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

It's not really that funny. You jailbroke a phone and someone picks it up and uses it for a minute or two like everyone in a store does. And then later an employee has to waste their time restoring it. Can someone point out the funny?

8. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Lets see.....how I want to spend my Sunday.......

Go to mall and jailbreak iPhones and iPads and hang around to watch customers use them.

What a great day! :rolleyes:

9. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

It is funny if for no other reason than, Apple and AT&T should allow most of what we jailbreak an iPhone for.

Tethering (without paying for the data a second time)
    3G Facetime
    Infinite folders
    Custom SMS tones

Just to name a few

10. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Hey I would like those things too, but I still don't get what's so funny about wasting an employees time because your unhappy with someone's policy. Even if it wasn't a waste of someone's time I still don't see the funny.

11. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

Good thing not everyone has the same interest and since of humor, if so it would be quite boring, or would it?

12. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Good point. Good thing there are plenty of fart apps to keep those people entertained when the Apple stores are closed.

13. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Apple gives us a great device and they basically allow us to easily Jailbreak it. Then, you have to go to their stores and hack their display units. Why do people do this? Are you specifically trying to piss them off? I, for one, don't get it.

I equate it to someone inviting you over to dinner and on your way out, you **** in the sink.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You except to? Or you expect to?

What exactly was so enjoyable about this? Elaborate please...

Was it the look of confusion and disgust on the face of customers who traveled (some from great distances and with some sacrifice) to the store specifically to get a hands on look at a product before making a purchase decision only to find that the product they are looking at has been the target of vandalism?

Or was it the frustration on the part of the employees who are trying to genuinely help customers who have questions and issues, but who had to instead spend their time to correct a juvenile prank, yet again, from someone who thinks they are clever?

Or was it the bonding that takes place between bros who descend on an Apple Store in packs, monopolizing the equipment by playing mindless games, checking Facebook, playing loud music, and generally making the Apple Store experience a nightmare for those who simply want to come and try out the product.

Were all the paint cans empty or the bridges full of graffiti?

I don't understand... enlighten me

15. suss2it macrumors regular

Apple doesn't let us easily jailbreak anything. The iPhone Dev team is the one that let's us jailbreak very easily. In fact Apple unjailbreaks with every update and makes it harder to jailbreak as well.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I was in the Apple Store today at Mall of Georgia... Many of the iPads and iPhones were Jailbroken. It was so obvious from the different themes on them. So someone has been playing a bit there too. The first iPad that I noticed it on was not a 3G so someone must have used MyFi or some other portable hotspot router.

While some may think it's juvenile, I kind of looked at it as a pretty good prank. No real harm, I'm sure the Geniuses will be fixing this tonight. A customer was trying to get an Apple Store employee to help her put the wonderful icons on her iPhone 4 that was on the display iPhone.

17. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Trust me, if Apple wanted to shut it down, they could in a minute.

18. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

While I don't agree with jailbreaking the display models, I would find it funny to hear that discussion. BTW kids, you do know that Best Buy has iPhones too. Radio Shack might get one in every now & then. Those people wouldn't know what Cydia is.