Jailbreaking tonight need direction...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Shadylane315, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Shadylane315 macrumors regular

So here are my questions...

1. Greenpois1n or limera1n? why? is there a chart with the differences?

2. Is there updates for these jailbreaks like apple's?

3. When you jailbreak how the jailbreak devs handle apple's iphone updates like 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 5, etc.

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You are not ready to Jailbreak.

You need to learn more about the tools and the process.

S-

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

+1 Me and Sidewinder agree on something

4. Shadylane315, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011

Shadylane315 thread starter macrumors regular

I know about the tools since I just named them! and I know about the process. What I don't understand is the difference between both tools. To me they are the same but one has a coder is has amazing experience and the other is a group of hackers. I think question 2 and 3 are valid for first time jailbreaker. Give me a little credit here and stop trolling.

5. digitard, Feb 13, 2011

digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

No offense, but you obviously don't because of what you said in #2 and #3. You assume a JB is a whole new piece of SW, but in reality it's an exploit to the OS to open it up. They're not releasing their own OS, but a tool to exploit a hole INTO the Apple OS.

You need to read up a bit more, and you'll answer your own questions.

The two above posters weren't being rude. They're trying to point you towards educating yourself because what you're asking should be common knowledge if you're familiar with the process.

6. Shadylane315 thread starter macrumors regular

I know the exploit. It's a booting exploit not like the jailbreakme.com which was a pdf exploit. I've read up on it, trust me. What I don't understand is how people will upgrade to version ios 5 when there is a jailbreak available then. Do they just simply update there iphone through apple or do they rejailbreak there phones with the latest tools?

7. McGiord, Feb 13, 2011
  8. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Any update will have to be jailbroken again with a tool supporting the current exploit.

The exploit used in 4.2.1/4.2.6 is blocked in 4.3 so it will have to be updated by the JB developer team(s) once they find a new way in, and the tools updated/released.

9. Shadylane315 thread starter macrumors regular

Look, I don't have time to waste on aruging. I'm simply asking for "direction" as stated in my topic. You guys came here and just said "your not ready" wtf is that? Help a guy out. Yes i'm new and I know enough about the jailbreaking tools but I still have a few questions. Also offer some advice. Simply saying "your not ready" is not helpful. Maybe point me to a message board where I can get advice.

10. choice macrumors regular

[​IMG]

You're not ready to JB.

11. Shadylane315 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you digitard. Now I understand the update in the cydia store that restores all your downloaded apps. Everything is starting to connect. So you have to restore and update then rejailbreak. Got it. Answer my question. I appreciated it. If anyone knows or has a preference in which tool to use for jailbreaking let me know. I get two different reports.

1. Limera1n - PRO - is well polished since it was made by geohot and he's amazing at jailbreaking anything. CON - He won't be updating the tools to fix bugs because he's now in court. Not sure if this is all true

2. greenpoison - Not as well polished but will continually update to fix bugs and future 4.0 releases. Again, not sure if this is all true.

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

It's not my job to educate you or to point you to educational sites. You should be able to find the information on your own with even rudimentary Google skills. The bottom line is that you have shown you are not ready to Jailbreak.

You don't know enough about the Jailbreak tools. If you did, you would not be asking these novice questions.

Your rudeness is not going to endear you to anyone knowledgeable here. You are certainly on my "no help" list.

S-

13. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

All your normal stuff will sync to/from your phone with iTunes like normal. Nothing special there even when JB. Just when 4.3 comes out it's going to ask you to update, and you want to cancel or tell it do "download only" until they JB it untethered (or tethered if you don't care, but I wouldn't recommend it with a phone since you're mobile so often).

Things you BUY from Cydia can be restored using their new login feature so it remembers what you buy.

If you do some google term specific searching just about anything you need to know can be answered. It's all pretty standard stuff with the exception of Verizon 4.2.6 specific stuff (almost nothing since the new GP tool broke that day 1) since it's so new.

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No, you don't "got it". :rolleyes:

Too funny....

S-

15. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Heh. I didn't notice he said you have to restore. Damn my inability to Multitask tonight. Oooh shiny things...........................

16. Shadylane315 thread starter macrumors regular

Sidewinder, I understand. I apologize for being rude and I was just really excited to be jailbreaking my phone for the first time. I thought I did enough research and wanted to just confirm a few sources and possibly have a good discussion with board members about this topic and there experiences. I'm gonna do some more research and try to figure out some info on both tools. If you would like to help me, I would appreciate it. oh, and i'm sorry for my novice questions.... in sincerely didn't realize they were amateur since I couldn't find a good resource to pull this info from.

17. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Shadylane315,

Apology accepted.

Now, you need to tell us what iPhone you have and what iOS it has installed.

S-

18. Shadylane315 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. iPhone 4 and ios 4.2.1

19. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

20. is300guy, Feb 13, 2011

is300guy macrumors regular

Shadylane315, your questions could have been answered using the "search" feature, it could have saved you a lot of flame on this site. Although, I do know and understand that sometimes the search feature and google may not answer what you're looking for so I understand. It's "ok" to ask questions on this forum, it's a community to help others and not to scold others just for asking....but use the search feature next time before you ask any questions in the future. Just IMO ofcourse.

21. jvice09 macrumors member

jvice09

22. Shadylane315, Feb 13, 2011

Shadylane315 thread starter macrumors regular

Sidewinder,

Your awesome. Thank you again! Sorry about before, again...
    your right, the excitment got the best of me and I approched it incorrectly. I will be following this method for when I get my iPad 2 and there is a jailbreak available for that. Thanks guys!

23. ZipZap macrumors 601

LimeRain was a dead give-away.

I support the statement that you were not ready...these are the same guys who will have to help you out of the fire when you limerain your phone and post for help.

I had to read, and read, and watch and wait before I did my first JB. Nerveracking as it was, and way before the nice Jailbreaks found today.

24. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

+1 Anyone who asks about lime rain with 4.2.1 has obviously not done enough research. Any fool who goes to iclarified would know that lime rain isn't an option.
    FYI: if you had been reading these boards long enough, iclarified would've popped up on your radar.
    When I got back into jb after stopping with my original iphone, I spent about an hour a night for about a week or two--just getting the basics down.

25. nicroma macrumors 6502a

nicroma

Learn how to use the right tools and learn how to use you're instead of your.