jailbreaking/unlocking 3.0?!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iSteven, Jul 16, 2009.

1. iSteven macrumors newbie

iSteven

Ok i know close to nothing about this, im sure its well covered in these forums, although i cant seem to find it.

Sooo, i want to jailbreak my iphone 3g w/ the new 3.0 fireware, and my friend is going to do it but he claims alot of times you will lose all your contacts and other info when you do it, is this true? I know he uses either quickpwn or pwnage tool, which one is better? Also ive heard of free apps and what not but what are some other major benefits of having an unlocked iphone??

Thanks

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If your friend has a mac then you should use Pwnage Tool to jailbreak your phone. If he has a pc he should use Redsn0w (it is the replacement for quickpwn). Redsn0w won't erase anything, but using pwnage tool will. So you should back up your phone regardless.

3. iSteven thread starter macrumors newbie

iSteven

how do i back my phone up?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    When you sync it with iTunes, you should see that it says it is backing up your Phone.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

With all due respect, are you sure you are up to trying this ??

Just don't want your next post to contain the word "Help"

Good luck

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

7. iSteven thread starter macrumors newbie

iSteven

oh ok, yeah it says it everytime. So hypothetically, if i was to loose all my crap all i have to do is hook it up to itunes and it will restore contacts,pictures,apps etc...??

8. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

Think so!

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You should get back everything that syncs when you run a sync, usually address book, pics, bookmarks, music, movies (even though Backup and Sync are not the same process)

BUT, all that is controlled by settings on a page that shows up when you plug your phone into iTunes. There are about 8 tabs, the first is Summary. The settings you choose determine what is Sync'ed.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

Yes

JB a Phone is easy just back up before you start with Itunes Google Redsn0w or Purplera1n 3.0 jailbreak find a tutorial you and your friend are comfortable with, I would read several. then when you feel comfortable enough go for it. you can not Brick a Iphone, however if you too don't feel comfortable enough I probably wouldn't! ;) also when 3.1 is released don't upgrade right away and be sure you get your the iBEC, iBSS files or eles you won't be able to jailbreak past 3.0

11. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

You will lose everything...until you restore from a backup.