Jailbreaking & Unlocking iPhone 2g (1st Gen)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GaleForce, Jul 3, 2011.

1. GaleForce macrumors newbie

I have a 1st gen, 2g iPhone that I recently wiped of all data. I haven't used it in a while as I've been upgrading as new iPhones become available but I've had this phone collecting dust, in perfect condition, and figure I should do something with it. I plan to either give it to a family member who has a really bad phone (if they want it), use it like an iPod touch, or sell it. In any case it seems the best course of action before I do any of that is to jailbreak and unlock it.

Now I remember jailbreaking it back when I first got it but things have changed. All the articles on applications and procedures I've been finding on the internet throughout my searches have been written years ago when the phone came out or a year or so after. I don't see any updated guides so I'm not quite sure what to do. I've tried using the older guides but the bootloaders or software they recommend using are dead links because the first gen iPhone came out so long ago.

Anyway if anyone here could offer some advice as to what I should do I would appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

click my signature links below..... and google works good too! or so I've heard!

seriously bythe time you made a account and posted this thread google would have answered this and you would already be jailbroken and unlocked.

3. GaleForce thread starter macrumors newbie

Reading an entire post works well, or so I've heard. By the time you wrote this rude post you could have read that I tried my way around Google and found guides that were 4-5 years out of date. When I did find a guide that was somewhat recent the links to the necessary software and files were dead, at least some of them, which left me back at square one since I didn't have everything necessary to proceed with the guide.

4. GaleForce, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2011

GaleForce thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. This seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

Does the pwnage tool come in a Windows compatible format? I can only find dmg files on your site and otherwise.

EDIT: I found a QuickPwn.exe file, version 2.2.5-2, but it crashes every time I open it.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

PwangeTool is only for mac. Use the redsn0w guide and you'll be good.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

7. GaleForce thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm running into a problem though, at the redsn0w step. When it asks me to select the firmware that I restored my iPhone with I get an "Unable to recognize specified ISPW" error. Any idea why? I'm using the 3.1.3 firmware.