Jailbreaking/Unlocking iPhone 3GS to use in the UK?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rcomma, Sep 4, 2011.

1. rcomma, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

rcomma macrumors newbie

Hello!

I currently live in America, but I'm going to be spending a semester in Scotland. The prospect of spending four months without an iPhone got a little daunting, but AT&T's international charges are insane. So jailbreaking my iPhone and getting an international SIM seems like the best plan.

I have a 3GS (although it's been sitting in a box since I got my 4 last summer) and I figured I'd take that so that I don't run the risk of bricking my 4. I'm currently updating the software to 4.3.5 and restoring it to factory settings.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide for jailbreaking a 3GS with 4.3.5 and/or what it will take to use my iPhone in the UK? Most of the guides I'm finding for the 3GS seem to be for older operating systems, and I'm not sure what's different about those. (If it makes a difference, I have a Mac, not a PC.) (Also, this phone has been out of use since last summer, so it's basically an iPod touch. The SIM card isn't hooked up to AT&T at all.)

Thanks so much!

Update: I did a bit more research on 4.3.5 and how to jailbreak it, and it seems as if it's difficult to jailbreak. I haven't actually updated yet, so there's still 3.1.3 on it.

Update 2: I just realized that there's a difference between jailbreaking and unlocking--whoops. Can someone explain that in the context of taking an iPhone overseas? (Also, if you couldn't guess, I'm not particularly adept at this sort of thing--I've just used my iPhone as an iPhone on AT&T and nothing fancier than that.)

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Do not update.

Jailbreak your iPhone with Spirit and then unlock with Ultrasn0w. You still have an unlockable baseband and by updating to 4.3.5 you are losing the ability to unlock as well as the ability to have an untethered jailbreak!

3. rcomma thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much.

can you explain what "unlockable baseband" means?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, before you do anything you need to do a lot more research and at least learn the basics on how JB works, what's unlocking, baseband versions, firmware, shsh blobs, custom IPSW's etc etc etc.....
    Dont try anything or hit restore or update without beeing positive with what you're doing and how you're going to do it.

5. rcomma thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, believe me, I know I'm in over my head. I'm trying to figure out the
    basics, but I guess there were more basics than I realized.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Yes, read up some stickies on the top of this forum where it explains some more stuff.
    Also now that you're on 3.1.3 you can JB and unlock your phone. You gotta make sure you're using the right tools/programs or you can get into trouble and losing your unlockable baseband.
    And my guess is since you never JB it before you dont have any shsh blobs saved so if you wanted to upgrade the firmware you'd be stuck going to 4.3.5
    And with that you would be stuck with a tether JB and that is not fun IMO.
    And also you need the JB first in order to install the unlock hack. No JB, no unlock. And you cant just unlock any baseband version, only certain ones can be unlocked and if you mess up once and you update the baseband then there's no going back.
    Good luck, be patient, learn, research and you will do fine.
    This place has plenty of good info and if you have any further more detailed questions feel free.