Jailbreaking + Unlocking iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daddy Mac, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Daddy Mac macrumors member

I'm not sure exactly the difference b/n the 2, but got a little more information after googling both terms. Why doesn't everyone jailbreak/unlock their phone? Does it void the warranty?

2. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Jailbreaking lets you install 3rd party software not in the App Store. Unlocking lets you use your iPhone on different carrier. Whether it voids the warranty is up for debate, but Apple sure doesn't approve of it. If you brick your iPhone don't expect them to fix it.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We're hoping both JB and unlocking will be possible on the new iphone 4.
    You should do some searching and get familiar with how and what JB does on the iphone and how it effects warranty claims.

5. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Unlocking I can't speak for since I buy all my phones unlocked anyway. However jailbreaking - not everyone has a need for it. There's a large number of iphone users who are happy just grabbing stuff from the App Store and going on their merry way. I used to JB my phone primarily for theming and some eye candy, but now that I've installed iOS4, I don't personally have any reason to, the folders are convenient and the overall look and feel are good enough for me to be happy with.

6. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Adding features that should already be there is so 2007.