Jailbreaking - What's the worst that can happen?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by oli2140, Aug 5, 2010.

1. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I used to have an iPhone 3G that was permanently jailbroken, it was useful however having to wait before upgrading was a bit of a pain.

I've just purchased a sim-free iPhone 4 and have a question, to jailbreak or not?

I'd definitely like some of the apps that are only available to jailbroken phones, however it's not a life and death situation. I've just come here to ask:

If I do jailbreak now, what's the worse that can happen to my phone? If I update for example while I'm jailbroken will the phone get bricked? Or is it just a case of restoring from iTunes?

I'm not worried about baseband updates since I have a sim unlocked phone, so are there any other problems I might run into? I am looking to jailbreak while it's so easy through jailbreakme.com before Apple blocks it in an update.

Cheers,
    Oli

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If you update while jailbroken, then you'll end up with the latest official update but no jailbreak (basically, it gets deleted). So pretty much as soon as Apple releases the next software update, and patches the flaw that allows jailbreakme.com to work, then anyone that updates will have no jailbreak until another way to jailbreak the system is found (this can sometimes take months).

3. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

So as long as I disable automatic updates and check beforehand I should be fine?

I think I'll probably do it in 10 minutes, feel like a bit of a ***** asking, must be because I'm all anal about my new phone!

4. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Well two things:

- Apple\San Mateo County Sheriffs MAY bust down your front door in the middle of the night and take your iPhone away from you.

- If you accidentally download iCombust 4.0 and then press Swipe to Combust, your phone will melt-down in your hand and burn you.

Ok three things:

- Steve Jobs may order the "death grip" on your neck.

Ok, I just had to... the forum was just asking for a smart-ass response, and today it's my duty to provide it.

Bottom line is jailbreaking is perfectly safe, but if you rely on a carrier unlock you just have to be super careful to NOT update because Apple wants to kill your unlock at all costs :) 100% safe though, just keep your SHSH backed up.

Welcome to the dark side :)

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

No such thing as a permanently jailbroken phone. Any update or restore wipes out jailbreak

If you jailbreak now, what's the worst that can happen. If you add too many mods to 3G, it can slow down phone. That is the worst. Just restore then, jailbreak gone.

6. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Your house could go on fire whilst you are running the jailbreak - that may be the worst thing that could happen.

I don't think the jailbreak would actually CAUSE the fire, but who knows ...

7. ZenoVT macrumors regular

8. jbro1999 macrumors regular

9. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

steve jobs will break down your door and violently sodomize you.

10. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

And then do I die?

11. bella92108 macrumors 68000

No cause you'll love it!

12. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Steve forces you to drink Dr. Pepper.