JailBreaking will or will not

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Acronym, May 1, 2008.

1. Acronym macrumors 68000

i bought a 3 year warranty on my 8g ipod touch i am wondering if i jailbreak mine how will it affect the warranty.

with that being said i am a landscaper i bought the warranty specificaly to keep me covered incase rocks and other flying debris damage my ipod.

so should i jail break or should i not jailbreak?

PLEASE REPLY ASAP

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

How would we know the terms of your warranty? More info would help. You can most likely restore it and it will have blank software as if it were new, but if you start screwing around with the bootloader and you mess up, I don't think that anyone would replace it.

3. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

EDIT: i bought the warranty thorugh futureshop it covers everything (i think) with exception to probably firmware hacking

if it is damaged by impact from rocks like the screen or the casing ect... and i cat do a restore cause of these damaged parts will my warratny be void?

4. Drucifer macrumors regular

A fellow Canadian. :p

I got mine from Futureshop too. I personally didn't get their extended warrantly as they wanted something like $100 for it and last large item I bought from them (laptop) they said to buy the extended warranty for extra coverage and of course the sales rep made the warranty sound better than it actually was and not everything he said was actually covered.

Either way you can always return the iPod back to the original firmware assuming it is in working condition. They will not honor the warranty if you jailbreak it and bring it in like that but you can always just restore the iPod back to normal firmware and you won't have a problem.

5. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

so if it is no longer in working order for example i cant turn it on then i am screwed with the warranty?

6. Drucifer macrumors regular

Well you can't brick a iPod Touch so you will always be able to restore it if it won't turn on for some reason. What I'm referring to is if you damage the screen so bad you are unable to do anything but I doubt that would happen.

To restore just start up iTunes then connect the iPod to your computer.

Hold the home and the wake/sleep button until the apple logo shows up then release the wake/sleep button but keep holding the home button.

Keep holding home until the image comes up with the USB cable and then release the home button. Then iTunes will take it from there and instruct you what to do.