Jailbreaking with Blackrain, stuck on Geohot's face. Need Help.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by shinbo, Feb 3, 2010.

1. shinbo macrumors newbie

Hey everybody,

Some background info, I have a new iphone 3gs 16gb that was already jailbroken with blackrain and I also have the tethered jailbreak issue.

To start a new I went into settings to "erase all contents and settings" because I couldn't restore because the new 3.1.3 is out and I didn't have my shsh saved.

Once I did the erase all contents and settings it rebooted my computer, so I would rejailbreak with blackrain, now I'm stuck on geohot's face and no idea on what to do next.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Erase all content and settings deletes everything in your phone's NOR Flash memory. This includes your firmware. Your iPhone is getting stuck during jailbreak because it has no firmware to jailbreak. Your only option is to restore your phone. If you have your SHSH on file, you can restore to 3.1.2 using Saurik's cached signatures for your phone; if you do not, you will only be able to restore to 3.1.3.

Instructions for using saurik's cached signatures: http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/02/downgrade-iphone-3gs-os-3-1-3-to-3-1-2-with-cydia-shsh/

3. shinbo thread starter macrumors newbie

ughhhh. I was afraid of that. I guess I have no choice but to restore to 3.1.3

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Why did you erase all that data? Were u having problems with the phone?

5. shinbo thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a dumb move on my part. I wanted to start completely fresh but couldn't restore because of the 3.1.3 thats out. I had no idea that "erase contents and settings" left u with no firmware.

Seems kinda pointless to have a phone with no firmware.

ughhhh.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

With all due respect, it seems kind of pointless to "throw a switch" on your iPhone without first doing some research.

All though, it appears in this incident, you have the same outcome in both paths.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The only purpose of that function is to completely wipe your memory in preparation for selling your phone. It is intended to be combined with a firmware restore to erase all traces of your personal data.

8. shinbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Does erasing all contents and settings and then restoring differ from just plain restoring from itunes?

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, it overwrites your flash memory (on a 2G or 3G) or removes the encryption key (on a 3GS). A regular restore only overwrites the file table and whatever area the firmware is written to; personal data may remain in parts not overwritten by the OS. It will gradually be overwritten as your iPhone fills up more areas of the memory.

Think of it as the difference between quick formatting your hard drive and doing a secure wipe.