Jailbreaking with Categories + 3.0 or 3.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by doodude, Aug 15, 2009.

1. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

I have a JB, 3G v.2.2.1 & Im going to upgrade to version 3.x today using pwnage for PC.

I have 2 questions tho'.

1. Is it better to upgrade to v.3.0 or 3.0.1 right now. Big Boss suggest to wait for a true 3.0.1 installer.

2. Im using Categories & have from a few to a dozen apps inside of a dozen different categories.
    Would it be easier to empty out those categories & just reinstall everything or will all the apps & categories come back 'as is' once I restore using Big Boss's Aptbackup? :confused:

Thx in Adv...

2. strike1555 macrumors 6502

You *must* empty out the folders before upgrading or all the icons will disappear after you upgrade.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You might as well update to 3.0.1 it works just fine. Who uses installer anyway? It's all about Cydia, and Icy. And remove the apps from categories, or just don't restore from a backup and set it up as a new phone.

4. doodude thread starter macrumors regular

doodude

I figured better safe than sorry so Ive already emptied out categories & synced minus all the apps. Thanks for the feedback...

There seem to be several choices of Jail breaking apps available. Which has had the best success JBing from 3.0.1?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Redsn0w is the only one that will work. You will need to upgrade to 3.0.1 in iTunes if you haven't already, and then used Redsn0w v 0.8 and when it is asking you for your current IPSW, make sure you point it to the 3.0 IPSW, and it will jailbreak your phone like normal. I also suggest installing Icy.

6. doodude thread starter macrumors regular

doodude

Everything went brilliantly so thanks for the info... ;)