Jailbreaking With Squaretrade Warranty?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by shakeman0, Nov 30, 2010.

1. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Hello,

I'm considering Jailbreaking my iPhone 4. I have a Squaretrade warranty plan and was wondering Jailbreaking would void the warranty? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Technically yes it would. But once you restore your iPhone any trace of the jailbreak is going. Your carrier or warranty provider can't trace if your iPhone is jailbroken.

3. MasterTick macrumors 6502

Jailbreaking doesn't void your warranty, Jailbreak away.

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

In Apple's mind it does.

5. err404, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

err404 macrumors 68020

I just read the SquareTrade TOS and by the letter of the contract, JB phones are not covered if they can point to software being related to the problem. This could also give them a strong case to deny your claim for other issues as well.
    That said, their policy may be lenient if the the problem is clearly not software related. I would recommend emailing them for confirmation and retaining the conversation for your records.

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

7. bigddybn macrumors member

Thankfully Apple doesn't get to make the law. At least not in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Apple would not have to warranty any defect caused by the jailbreak or user modification but they could not void the overall warranty for jailbreaking.

8. shakeman0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Thanks for all the answers. I just looked on Squaretrade.com and at the bottom of the screen they have some info:

So, the phone being jailbroken will not void the warranty only problems caused by jailbreaking. Since bricking is impossible, it's probably pretty safe to say I can jailbreak without worrying about the warranty.

9. shakeman0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Squaretrade has an app you can download off the official Appstore, or you can buy the warranty on their website.