Jailbreaking without unlocking (3GS)?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by done24u, Apr 27, 2010.

1. done24u macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I'm in Germany and I bought an iPhone 3GS (16GB) from T-Mobile Germany (with a contract).
    What I would like to do is jailbreak it so I can use cydia and unofficial apps. What I don't need is the unlock. I want to stay with my current provider.

Now I keep reading everywhere that all the jailbreaks don't work wit the new baseband iPhones (mine is). But my question is:
    If I don't care about unlocking the phone, can I jailbreak it without unlocking it? And if yes, are there tools out there that can do this?

Thanks in advance for any info...

2. anthdci macrumors 6502

you only need to care about the baseband if your unlocking, as you are not ignore it. What you do need to care about is the operating system version. If the phone is on 3.1.2 or previous you can jailbreak, if its 3.1.3 you cannot. so some research its all been made pretty clear on this forum numerous times.

3. done24u thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so since I'm using 3.1.3 I can forget about unlocking. Too bad. :(
    All the articles I saw about downgrading to 3.1.2 are BS right?

4. anthdci macrumors 6502

no not all, if your phone was bought with 3.1.3 you cant downgrade. IF your phone has been jailbroken on 3.1.2 and you had your shsh files saved on sauriks server then you can downgrade. There is no other way.

The reason is when you restore your phone through itunes it checked what version you are restoring with apple, and at the moment apple only allow you to restore to 3.1.3, if you have saved those files you can point the check to sauriks server which tricks itunes into allowing the restore to the previous version.

5. done24u thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I see, that makes sense. Thanks!
    My iPhone came with 3.1.3 already installed. So I guess this means waiting and hoping for 4.0.
    Although I won't upgrade to that until I know for sure that there's a working jailbreak.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wow

You will do well in the jb world. A good jb knows not to update there firmware as soon as a new release comes out. Instead watch others update and then whine about when the next jb is going to be released.

7. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Agreed, it's fun sitting back and just laughing at other peoples' drama/impatience :)

8. done24u thread starter macrumors newbie

That actually made me feel a little better. lol

9. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I'm in the same boat you're in, only from what I understand you should go one step further and get your 3.1.3 SHSH files backed up before Apple stops signing them. I don't know for sure that it'll ever be needed, but it seems to be a best-practices thing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=886278

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. For example, if the next JB is 4.0 only, will anyone's backed up 3.1.3 ever come into play?

The Germans call it schadenfreude and I think it's fine in moderation. :)

10. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Ja, Ich schadenfreude daily :)