Jailbreaking, worth it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by EHLIF3, Dec 26, 2009.

1. EHLIF3 macrumors newbie

I have been anticipating on getting an itouch for almost 6 months now and couldnt wait to jailbreak it.
    This xmas I finally got it.
    However, right now im in the process of restoring my itouch for the 4th time today!
    To me, jailbreaking an itouch is more of a nuisance then anything. By jailbreaking, i had ONLY one benefit, and that was be being able to organize certain apps in folders. Which to me, isnt worth it. SO, unless someone can convince me another wise, or able to point my errors, Im never going to jailbreak again.

(Heres a little background info)
    I am on firmware 3.1.2.
    The itouch was recently purchased & is a 8g(not exactly sure which generation).
    On youtube, i learned how to get "all sources" on cydia.
    However, well downloading i would get constant error pop-ups.
    For example "posix: invaild argument".
    These errors would not only pop up for the "all sources" download, but with almost EVERY download i made. Many downloads which weren't able to be completed.
    It would eventually get to the point where my itouch would crash&need to be restored.
    The scary part is, each crash has been severely worse then the last.
    Im utterly disappointed that I am not able to access the benefits of a jailbroken ipod, but my question to you is, is it really worth it for me to try to jailbreak again?

2. Stratnsc macrumors newbie

Well...

it would be very beneficial for you to find out what generation it is... and what program are you using to jailbreak??

3. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

OP is using an 8GB model.
    I'm fairly sure there isn't a 3G 8GB iPod Touch model.
    So, OP is using a 2nd Gen model.

4. EHLIF3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was using blackra1n.
    Do you think i would get better result with a different program?

5. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

blackra1n is pretty good, i've used it several times. what is causing you to restore in the first place?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Open Settings, General, About. Scroll down until you find the Model #. If it begins with "MC" then blackra1n is your only option to jailbreak, and you have a tethered jailbreak. Read about tethered jailbreak here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=833099

While jailbreaking isn't that difficult, it does require that you know how to do research and follow instructions precisely. Be patient and don't rush into things. Only you can decide if the hassle is worth the benefits.

7. Stratnsc macrumors newbie

Are you on windows? If so id use redsn0w, but first you'd need to downgrade to 3.0, since i dont think the dev. team has a release for 3.1.2. Just google how to downgrade it.

8. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

The 3G 8 GB Touch is basically identical to the 2G 8 GB Touch (same processor, RAM, and such), but unfortunately Apple made a few under-the-hood tweaks that have apparently caused issue for jailbreakers in the past.

9. EHLIF3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think would be drastically different? I dont want to go threw all the work & have the same results.
    But i am working on windows,.

10. EHLIF3 thread starter macrumors newbie

&my ipod would be thrown in like cardiac arrest mode.
    Wheree its was completely unresponsive and would not be recognized by my computer. It would just attempt to turn on, then flash a white screen and turn off.

Eventually i had to just restore it manually.

11. EHLIF3 thread starter macrumors newbie

My model number starts with 'PC'. Now what are my other alternative methods of jailbreaking?
    Also, can anyone tell me what generation im using by my model number (PC086LL)?