jailbreaking worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by bigwayne3000, May 7, 2010.

1. bigwayne3000 macrumors regular

ipad is only a month or so old so is there a lot of things already out in terms of jailbreaking features for this? im hoping to get one within the next 2 weeks but i jailbroke my itouch and it wound up being bricked and i had to have a buddy reload the OS for me to fix it and i dont want to destroy my ipad if there isnt much on it yet to do thru jailbreaking it.

2. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Depends what you want. I don't usually install the "fluff" stuff with the jailbreak, and by that I mean Winterboard or Status Bar name change or any of those, I think they unnecessarily use up system resources and don't actually "do" anything.

What I do use with jailbreaking is SBSettings (quick access to settings like Brightness and Wifi on/off toggle), Backgrounding (for multitasking), Proswitcher or similar (as a multitask manager) and I do have SNES4iPhone installed for games. Other then that, I haven't found anything else what I want or need.

3. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Well from reports the SSH client breaks the location services in some way so you are not locatable with google maps or other apps that use/require the location services. Hmm, that may be a useful feature for some people.

But overall, there isn't too much that is available specifically for the iPad. Although the premise would be a greater flexibility/accessibility to the hardware/OS for those inclined.

The real reason most people want jailbreak is for the unlock from the phone service on the iPhone. The other reasons while useful are usually to get access to illegally copied apps, or add some system functionality like background applications, or customized theming of the OS not just the wallpaper.

If that's for you, then by all means it is feasible and doesn't appear to be a cause of concern regarding the hardware. Its unlikely you'll brick your iPad through the current jailbreak, YMMV. It may just be the inconvenience of a clean restore of the OS if you do something wrong or install an unsupported app/extension.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you want the features, applications, customization, etc, that only jailbreaking can provide, then jailbreaking is worth it. If you don't want these things, then it is not worth it. Its a personal choice.

5. THENIZZZEIL macrumors member

Will jailbreaking allow me to link the iPad to different computers? I like to use it to upload photos from me and my buddies computers so we can put what we need on them between our files.