Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by AngusW, Mar 2, 2015.

1. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

Ok so I've seen some stuff about Jailbreaking. I know what it is, but is it really worth it?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

In my opinion NO.

Why?

- More and more jailbreak tweaks are making its way into the official iOS releases.

- The apps/tweaks that are truly worth it cost money and there is no guarantee that the developer will keep updating his/app as new versions of iOS are released. (some of these apps are $3.99 -$4.99).

- There is always some app/tweak out there that indirectly breaks something else in iOS that's unrelated. This is a troubleshooting headache because it's difficult to determine if the problem is iOS itself or a jailbreak tweak.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I wouldn't do it until 8.3 or 8.4. I've been willing to miss out on iOS 8 era tweaks just because of how many problems iOS has had and has been fixed in all the updates.

4. rugmankc, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015

rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I agree from my experience with rooting Android. Can be problems as mentioned. My take on rooting/jailbreaking is that the phones are far enough along, I don't see a need--IMHO--:)

There is a Sub-Forum you may have seen--

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective just as worth is with any topic. Read up about the available tweaks and see if any sound like they would be of use to you. There are quite a few that I still find useful. YMMV.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Jailbreaking for me has two significant benefits.
    1. For broken functionality or major bugs, frequently a fix is available there long before we see anything from Apple. A number of these are adopted by Apple.
    2. Themes. The ability to theme your device; to personalize the look and layout. This is something I wish Apple did allow.

:cool:

7. iL15hts macrumors member

iL15hts

The only thing I miss about jailbraking is the "status volume" the volume hud is very annoying especially watching YouTube videos.

8. af21187 macrumors 6502

You should try posting this in the "Jailbreaking" section to get a more thorough and well-informed response, not that those provided aren't.

There are numerous advantages to jailbreaking, just Google it and you'll find plenty of pro vs. con lists...

9. AngusW thread starter macrumors 6502

AngusW

I was looking quick and hadn't noticed an entire section on it. But it looks like I can't jailbreak I'm on 8.1.3.