Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mchank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Can you use an iphone unlocked/jailbroken with jailbreakme.com and independence together? I'd like to use independence to install custom ringtones on a 1.1.1 iphone.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Your in luck! I can answer that question for you - more or less!

I had a 1.1.1 Independence jailbreaked iPhone and I wanted to upgrade to 1.1.2 using the new Independence but unfortunately the SSH on my iPhone was very ropey and it seemed I would have to restore 1.1.1 to get Independence working to upgrade so I thought I have nothing to lose and tried jailbreakme.com and it worked fine and I used oktoprep to upgrade and then the jailbreakme dev team jailbreak in 1.1.2 and now everything works great.

Independence shows my 1.1.2 as Jailbroken and activated - although it doesn't show SSH as being installed.

SO to answer your question will it work? Yes it will BUT you may have to install SSH using Independence for you to be able to use the ringtone option as Independence does not recognise the version installed by the jailbreakme software.

Obviously having two SSH servers may drain battery life so my advice to you would be to uninstall SSH everytime you have finished with the ringtone option.

This is admittedly not very convenient and you could make SSH so unstable on your phone that Independence will no longer connect via SSH (like the problem I had) but then again it may work fine. You just have to try it out!

Just on a side note I was REALLY impressed when I used Jailbreakme.com on the phone at 1.1.1 - it kicked back to the springboard almost immediately then it showed a progress indicator for the download and installation and then the springboard restarted and installer was there! I was amazed at how easy it was and how professional it looked and the fact that Independence can see the phone as Jailbreaked is even more impressive as the original 1.1.1 JB didn't show up in Independence as jailbroken!

brando88

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Let me clarify for the both of you.

Quick answer, yes. Independence is not prejudice to the method of jailbreaking, nor does it utilize SSH when uploading ringtones.

As for the matters with SSH:

Battery:
You can download a variety of programs to control the running processes on the iPhone through installer.app. Services, and NetServices (which is what I use) work just fine. This allows you to turn on and off the service as needed, in order not to draw unneeded power.

Multiple SSH Servers:
I strongly discourage the frequent installing and uninstalling of the server. And when you install a second SSH server, to the best of my knowledge it replaces the first, so there is no reason to keep uninstalling it anyway.

Recognition:
It is also true that Independence does not recognize that an iPhone has SSH installed, except for after it has installed SSH itself.

duffsrp

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2004
Carlsbad
Jailbroken with iNdependence

OK, I have a Jailbroken 1.1.2 phone using the iNdependence method. I want to install apptapp on my phone now. Anyone know if I can run their jailbreak software to install apptapp without having to go back to 1.1.1? If I run the jailbreak.jar app I got will it work? Mess my phone up? Should I unistall iNdependence's SSH first?
Oh yeah unlocked using iphonesimfree running t-mobile too.

brando88

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Im not sure of your comfort level with jailbreaking etc... but you can try downloading the original apptapp installer (For 1.0.2), and view the package contents to get the actual installer.app program. Then just drop it in the /Applications folder via SSH.

duffsrp

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2004
Carlsbad
I think I can do that. I was waiting for someone else's opinion on the matter. I didn't want to try it without some encouragement. I know it says to not use it with 1.1.1.
Anyone else have an opinion whether or not I should do it let me know. I'll probably do it tonight.

thanks!

duffsrp

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2004
Carlsbad
So I downloaded the installed app. I don't know where all the plist files go? Can someone help me?

Never mind I dropped the app into my user apps folder using iNdependence and it worked. the first time I ran Installer it showed me the available update. So far so good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.