Jailbreakme.com not working - alternatives?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by twynne, Feb 29, 2008.

1. twynne macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to jailbreak a 16gb Touch for a friend. I've managed to restore it to the 1.1.1 firmware image, but when I go to http://jailbreakme.com it just shuts down Safari and nothing more. I've waited ages in the hope that something is happening, but no joy.

I seem to remember when I originally jailbreak'd my own that there was another method using a java program (thought it was jailbreak.jar). I probably have this somewhere on my network at home, but I'm away and don't have access. I've also tried searching the forum but there's now so much (mis)information with all the more recent jailbreaks I can't see the wood for the trees! :D

Can anyone point me to another method to perform the initial 1.1.1 jailbreak please??

Much appreciated!

Tom

2. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Forgot to mention - I'm doing this from a Mac.

Thanks,

Tom

3. RobertMidd macrumors newbie

You are doing this from the Safari browser on the iPod surely and not the Mac ?

4. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I thought everyone's jumped on the ZiPhone bandwagon by now...?

~ CB

6. RobertMidd macrumors newbie

It has always worked for me and I have done this probably 20 or so times on the same iPod now after various firmware upgrades and disasters.

Not that it should make a difference but I would downgrade to 1.1.1 in DFU mode rather than restore mode and then try the jailbreak again.

There is another method using iphuc but I cannot find it now.

7. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't think this worked for the Touch? And does it work on Macs??

8. RobertMidd macrumors newbie

ZiPhone does not work on a 16gb iTouch that has 2 8gb flash nand chips but if there is only one 16gb or you have the 8gb model then it appears to be ok.

Use it at your peril ... it crashed mine and I had to do recover in DFU mode and use the jailbreakme method.

9. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
  10. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm... and how does one know if they have 2x8gb or 1x16gb?

11. RobertMidd macrumors newbie

Not got a clue ... but I guess, the older the model then it is more likely to have 2.

You can always try and see and if it does not work then do a DFU restore and try another method.

12. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

You might want to try again. It's been down for me before as well but it ends up working a bit later. :)

13. twynne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, some success but this is still driving me mad!

I realised her Touch is actually the 8gb model, so Ziphone should work fine in theory.

I've restored it to the 1.1.3 firmware and again ran Ziphone. It appeared to run through completely and then returned:

ERROR: ziphone returned 1

However, when the Touch restarted it now has the Installer icon and Ziphone icons. This suggests success to me, but I've not seen one jb'd with Ziphone before so I'm not sure.

In any case, as I'm not at home I'm using Joikuspot to connect the Touch to the net via my N95. For some reason on her 1.1.3 Touch it connects the the Joiku hotspot and then disconnects almost immediately. I've tried almost everything, so can only assume that either:

1. There's an incompatibility somewhere between the specific firmware version/patch on her Touch
    -or-
    2. The jailbreak hasn't worked properly and something isn't right on her Touch.

Any thoughts? I'd really like to be able to get it on the net so I can refresh Installer sources and load the 1.1.3 apps.

Thanks,

Tom

14. lienly macrumors newbie

I can downgrade native v1.1.2 touch to v1.1.1 then JB it.;)
    however, can't do the same procedures on native v1.1.3 touch.:( what's wrong and how to overcome this issue? thanks.