Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingkunal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I have a 32 GB 3Gs. I go to JailBreakMe.Com from my iPhone browser. When I swipe, the browser crashes and closes by it's self. I tried restarting the phone, hard and soft and nothing. It is a new bootroom. Any ideas why it is crashing? If not, anyone know how to Jailbreak it? Thanks.

kingkunal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Shoot, sorry didn't even say my iOS. Running 4.0.

Cleared everything. Then closed all the pages. Reset the phone, still crashes the Safari. It just closes.

Any ideas? Or alternatives?

BTW, I am doing this for a friend. I have an iPhone 4, so my SIM won't fit in it. The phone I am doing it on has no SIM card in it. I am still connected to WIFI so I don't think that would matter.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Shoot, sorry didn't even say my iOS. Running 4.0.

Cleared everything. Then closed all the pages. Reset the phone, still crashes the Safari. It just closes.

Any ideas? Or alternatives?

I had the same problem on Sunday. I had downgraded my iOS from 4.1 to 4.0. It turned out I had downgraded to the GM copy of 4.0 and jailbreakme.com would not work. The browser would close like you are saying here. Do this only if you know the SHSH blobs are saved in Cydia for 4.0.

Go back and download 4.0 again here.

kingkunal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
So if I download the 4.0 firmware and in iTunes click SHIFT+RESTORE and select the 4.0 firmware it will let me restore it to that? It won't come up with an unknown error message because 4.1 is available?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
So if I download the 4.0 firmware and in iTunes click SHIFT+RESTORE and select the 4.0 firmware it will let me restore it to that? It won't come up with an unknown error message because 4.1 is available?

As long as you have the SHSH blobs saved in either Cydia or on your computer from using Umbrella, you can restore to 4.0. If the phone was never jailbroken before, the SHSH blobs are not saved anywhere and you will be forced to restore to 4.1.

kingkunal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Nope, I don't think the phone has ever been JailBroken. Is there any other way to JB it?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Nope, I don't think the phone has ever been JailBroken. Is there any other way to JB it?

No there isn't. jailbreakme.com was made just for 4.0 and I think 4.0.1. 4.0.2 was released just to get rid of the exploit that allowed the jailbreak so everything after contains the "fix" as well.

I am pretty certain that your iPhone is running 4.0 GM because as I said above, I had the same exact thing happen with jaibreakme.com closing a second after sliding the slider. I had accidentally restored my iPhone to 4.0 GM and the jailbreak doesn't work on that. It did exactly what yours is doing.

Does this phone that you have have an app called Game Center? Mine did and that was pulled from the official 4.0 release.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I am pretty certain that your iPhone is running 4.0 GM because as I said above, I had the same exact thing happen with jaibreakme.com closing a second after sliding the slider. I had accidentally restored my iPhone to 4.0 GM and the jailbreak doesn't work on that. It did exactly what yours is doing.

Does this phone that you have have an app called Game Center? Mine did and that was pulled from the official 4.0 release.

That would explain it them.
He might have the GM built installed.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
That would explain it them.
He might have the GM built installed.

I'm thinking the OP's best solution, if he has SHSH blobs saved with Cydia (and this is the key, no SHSH blobs, don't try), is to DFU restore to 4.0 or 4.0.1, or a version that blobs are present, then try.

Of course, setting up as a new phone is mandatory.

kingkunal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Man this sucks. Yeah I have that GameCenter app. The thing is, I don't want to risk it and attempt to put 4.0 on it or 4.0.1 and the only way I can fix the phone is to upgrade to 4.1. I hear that it may permantely block your phone from being JB. (read it on the iPhone Dev Team blog)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.