Jailbreakme.com question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Abby6497, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Abby6497 macrumors member

I had my iPhone jailbroke before but decided to restore it because it kept crashing. I just came across jailbreakme.com. I am wondering has anyone used this? Also I was reading about a security hole that it creates has anyone had issues with this? It said not to open any sites but I use Safari all the time so is this something I probably should not do? Any insight would be great!! Thanks!

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

In the time you posted this question you could have read the 6 threads below yours that answers your very question...

3. Infinig03 macrumors member

4. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

You are AMAZING.

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

At this point, probably tens of thousands of people have used Jailbreakme.com. Personally, I have not had a problem with the "security issue" nor have I read of anyone having a problem.

With that said, do a search here and you can get all the information you want...and more.

6. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I read a stat that there were something like 900k+ iphone unlocks using the new ultrasn0w. Thats a huge number.

7. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

No, he didn't.
    He's a pastry chef at the same midwestern diner Elvis is a fry cook at.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lmao:D

9. Black Vegeta macrumors member

I just used it to jailreak my 3Gs phone a few days ago and it works great. No issues at all. :D

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You should be safe to use it. The jailbreak does not create a security Hole it makes use of one that exist in the apple Safari browser. Its there jailbreak or no jailbreak. The new Apple update to 4.0.2 released today fixes the hold but prevents the JB from working.

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

And that's just those that unlocked. Maybe 2X or 3X times as many jailbreak but don't need/want to unlock.

12. Abby6497 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so if I update to the 4.0.2 then I will be unable to jailbreak? What if I jailbreak first then update? Or is there really any reason to update?

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You can't jailbreak then update. Updating replaces the jailbroken firmware package.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You didnt even say what iphone model you're talking about.
    And like said above 10 times every time you update you lose the JB and go back to stock firmware.
    And for some education the jailbreakme.com JB doesnt create a security hole. The hole is there on all idevices running 4.0 and 4.0.1
    it just takes advantage of the exploit to JB your device. A JB iphone and a stock iphone with 4.0 have the same hole open untill you update to 4.0.2
    There is no reason to update to 4.0.2

15. irthy macrumors member

I've been wanting to update to 4.0.1 because my jb on 3.1.2 is a tethered jb which i hate. Now that i can finally solve this issue i guess I missed the boat and haven't updated to the new 4.0.1 OS in time. Is there anyway to update to 4.0.1 and not 4.0.2?

16. romeo22 macrumors member

Yes, Download iOS firmware 4.0.1 :) google is your friend.

17. Skystar macrumors 6502

Just download the PDF fix from saurik after you jailbreak instead of updating to 4.0.2 if you are concerned about the security hole. Who knows how long it will take to release a new jailbreak with a different exploit.

18. irthy macrumors member

Is there any reliable creditable source to get iOS and can i find some type instructions on how to install it. I see a bunch of downgrading using DFU mode but not sure the procedure of upgrading without using itunes and just a file from your computer.

19. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I believe you said in the start that you were on 3.1.2. Your choices now depend on what phone you have and if you have SHSH Blobs saved. if you have a 3G or an early bootrom 3GS you can update using custom firmware if you have 3GS new Bootrom your only hope is if you have SHSH bobs saved.
    Download Tiny umbreall from here http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
    Then plug the phone into the USB port. Copy Tiny umbrealla to the desktop and run it in advance mode and Select CYDIA as the source, Select your device type and select the firmware version you want to upgrade to eg. 4.0.1. and run it. This will check with Cydia to see if your SHSH are already saved there and will return either a confirmation or an error indicating that it is too late to save those SHSH. If Cydia has your SHSH blobs you can change your Host files and update with Cydia taking care of the Signing required by Apple servers.
    Go to iclarified for instructions on how to change host files etc.