Jailbreakme crashing safari!!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sixpack446, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Sixpack446 macrumors member

I was just wondering if anyone has had any success downloading it recently. I get the download bar, then as soon as it says "sit tight" it crashes safari. It's driving me nuts.

2. mdecker79 macrumors member

I keep trying to JB my wife's 3Gs but every time I slide to jailbreak safari crashes and closes.

Then the web site says that the installer crashes but still nothing.

3. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

Go into your settings and delete your cache, browser history and cookies , and try again...

4. mdecker79 macrumors member

Thanks for the idea and I'll give it a shot when I get home.

5. Sixpack446 thread starter macrumors member

I tried this and still doesn't work :-(
    I've been trying all day.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

where do you find this option?

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

never mind Im an idiot!! :D

8. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

jailbreakme is currently down. 11:20 AM PST

'Sit Tight'

9. Sixpack446 thread starter macrumors member

I'm surprised there are only 2 links to download. I figured they would have more considering millions will probably jailbreak.

10. nalk7 macrumors regular

It happened to me too, I was on a 3GS with ios 4.0GM, if youre on the same setup the only way I could get it to work was upgrading to 4.0.1 and then jailbreakme.com hope this helps.

11. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I hope thats the case for me too. I'm at work and have one errand to run before I make it home. I hope I can last another 3.5 hrs.

I havent been too anxious to upgrade to the iP4 since there wasn't a JB available. Now that there is I'm getting more serious about it. I just wish the white ones were availabe too.

12. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

What worked for me is to do it at low traffic hours. I did mine at 6:50 AM and it took me 2 tries to get it going. It helps to reboot after each try

13. mdecker79 macrumors member

Hrmm.. My 3Gs in question is running 4.0 so I guess i'll try 4.0.1 and see how it goes.

14. Sixpack446 thread starter macrumors member

I tried 4.01 with no luck. I am going to try a full restore and see what happens.

15. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

it definitely no longer makes sense to be running 4.0 since 4.0.1 is jailbroken and you can back up your shsh for a future downgrade from 4.1.x if you want

16. Sixpack446 thread starter macrumors member

I just restored without using the backup and it works. Jailbreakme ran fast and smooth. Anyone else with this problem just do a full restore but don't use your backup.

Edit: Set it as new phone in iTunes

17. PR0SP3R macrumors newbie

Restoring causes you to lose all of your media, though, right?

18. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I have an iPhone 4 on 4.0 and it seems to have jailbroken properly. Is there any advantage to being on 4.01?

19. xushi macrumors newbie

Managed to fix it

Right...

2 days of my life in testing, testing, testing, restoring, and testing finally paid off.., so I'm going to save others the trouble and share how I did it. And before I start, to the attention of the forum mods, I'm writing this in good intentions. If I accidentally mention anything illegal, please remove that part and not the whole solution :)

Note: I'm assuming you have an iPhone 3GS and upgrading to iOS 4.0.1, but any other devices/version with the same symptoms should also work with these instructions.

So, I noticed that, if you upgrade from version X to 4.0.1, jailbreaking will not work. Some rouge files will still exist in the device that will cause JBM to crash safari on install.

Don't bother with all this "clear safari history" crap. It wont work due to the problem above...

Don't bother restarting 100 times.. it will not help.

Don't believe what forums say about "oh the server is overloaded!! that's why it crashes!". A month later and I still see the problem. It's not related.

Don't bother visiting the mirror jailbreakme.modmyi.com thinking it's better.. it just redirects to jailbreakme.com...

What you should do is not give up :) Read on and I hope this helps others. The solution is, when you upgrade to 4.0.1, do it via the "Restore + new iphone" method. So many got it close.. like when they suggested the Restore, but forgot to mention the new iphone settings bit.. :) Steps below:

1. Backup your iDevice in iTunes (apps, songs, contacts, etc..)
    2. Download the OS version you want to upgrade to from HERE (in my example, 4.0.1)
    3. In iTunes, hold down Shift in Windows, or Alt in Mac and click Restore, and select the image. If you're having trouble or if it errors out trying to restore, you need to follow the very easy instructions here in Windows or for Mac OSX.
    4. When done upgrading, it should activate and if all good, it should give you a message: "your phone is now active"

This is where some make a mistake. If you unplug now, again your JBM won't work. I strongly believe there still are old files/settings in there. So, proceed below:

1. Keep your device plugged in, and iTunes will ask you if you want to restore your data. Do NOT. Instead, set it up as a new iPhone, call it anything like "testing iphone".
    2. Now you have a clean vanilla install, before you visit JBM, go to Settings -> Safari, and disable block popups, so that you can see popups.
    3. Visit jailbreakme.com on your device's Safari, and now it should work! =D
    4. You can now start restoring your iPhone's original backup.

Post Jailbreak problems:

Q. Help! I try to restore my files but I'm getting error Ex8008001!

A. That's because appsync isn't installed. Make sure to reinstall Installous which will also install appsync. Just go to Cydia > Manage > Portals, and add cydia.hackulo.us and search for installous (with an o, not a zero).

Finally, right click on the iphone in iTunes, and Restore From Backup.

Make a cup of tea, and when done, you're back to normal on a new version :)

I hope this helps others, and if it does look like the best solution out there, please spread the word.

20. xushi macrumors newbie

There aren't any real big or significant changes that are worth the hassle to upgrade IMO, apart from the fix that makes the reception bar on top right more accurate. But some always want the latest :) But don't upgrade to 4.0.2 as it'll break the JB. If you accidentally did, provided you JB'd before and ran Cydia once and said "Yes make my life easier" So it makes a copy of your SHSH blob, then you can easily restore to those iOS versions at any time. Instructions are nearly identical to my previous post, just download the iOS you want to restore to.

Restoring the OS shouldn't let you lose the data you have synced, provided after you restore the OS you also restore the backup. However, as my previous post, you need to set it up as a new phone to really clean any buggy files lying around. After you jailbreak, then you can restore the backup again :)

What you may lose is stuff you manually added, like manually adding music instead of syncing from your itunes library.