Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jake9001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hey guys.. I'm new here but this place looks sweet.

I recently jailbroke my ipod touch 3g with jailbreakme (using 4.0) and I'm wondering if its worth restoring my ipod and using redsn0w (for 4.0.2)..

One problem I have with jailbreakme is I get a colored line of pixels on the startup screen, and a loading circle pops up on top of the Apple logo (I'm not sure if it does anything, but it seems like it takes a few seconds longer to load then it did when it wasn't jailbroken)

So.. other then that, what are the differences between jailbreakme and redsn0w?

Thanks.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The coloured bits are needed to be jailbroken. They are where the jailbreak lives so to speak. All jailbreakme.com jailbroken iDevices have it. I'd stay on 4.0 and just install the PDF patch from Cydia. Many things are having problems working correctly with 4.0.2 right now.

jake9001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
The coloured bits are needed to be jailbroken. They are where the jailbreak lives so to speak. All jailbreakme.com jailbroken iDevices have it. I'd stay on 4.0 and just install the PDF patch from Cydia. Many things are having problems working correctly with 4.0.2 right now.

Thank you very much, that was quick :D

One thing.. I heard awhile back from someone that its possible to change the startup screen logo with Redsn0w.. is that possible?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I heard awhile back from someone that its possible to change the startup screen logo with Redsn0w.. is that possible?

Only on the iPod Touch 1G, 2G, and iPhone 2G, 3G, and 3Gs with the old bootrom. It cannot be done on the iPod Touch 3G at this time.

jake9001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Only on the iPod Touch 1G, 2G, and iPhone 2G, 3G, and 3Gs with the old bootrom. It cannot be done on the iPod Touch 3G at this time.
Sorry but one question...

is an iPod Touch 8gb 3rd generation considered 2G since there was no actual change..?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.