jailbroke 2.1....help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by The Governor, Sep 30, 2008.

1. The Governor macrumors regular

ok, I just jailbroke my 3g iphone

started messing around with some different themes and such....was working pretty well

then I downloaded an app within installer, called Kate? I believe that was it, not sure. It was a app for small customizations and what not. I found it by doing a search within installer, I think I searched for AT&T logo

ok so heres my problem

after downloading kate?

my phone shut off

I turned it back on, and now it stays on the start up screen with the pineapple

I am able to turn it back off, but when I try to turn it back on, the same thing happens...it stays on the pineapple screen

also, while on the pineapple screen, it has quickly shut off and then came right back on to the pineapple start up. it has done this twice now

how can I fix this? did i "brick" my iphone?

Thanks in advance for all advice

2. The Governor thread starter macrumors regular

will this do the trick, I found it on the sticky

Put your phone into DFU mode.

Restore to apple original firmware and you can start over again!

3. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

The next time you pwn, my advice would be to stay away from Kate...matter of fact, stay away from Installer altogether, stick with just Cydia.

4. iblastoff macrumors 6502

seriously, i dont know why everyone was all clammering for installer.app for 2.x fw. it clearly isn't even being developed anymore and no one even cares about it now. cydia all the way.

5. The Governor thread starter macrumors regular

dually noted.

I was able to do a complete restore to factory settings. Does this type of thing happen a lot while jailbreaking? Constantly having to restore, jailbreak?

One last question, now that I did a restore. As of right now there is no way to see that I had a jailbroked phone? Right, or is there some other step needed

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

7. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Once you jailbreak your phone you shouldn't have to restore it all the time. Restoring the phone is just a way to go back to factory firmware or incase you have some sort of issue with the jailbreak (as you did).

Now that you are back to factory firmware, they wont be able to tell if your phone was jailbroken unless you open your mouth ;)

Just re-jailbreak, don't install Installer, and you will be good to go.

8. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Constantly having to restore and jailbreak only happens usually when people don't know what they're doing ;)

As long as you do your research and whatnot, you should have no problems whatsoever. I've been jailbroken since the day 2.1 came out, and i've had no problems on my end whatsoever.

9. The Governor thread starter macrumors regular

how would I go about not installing Installer?

do you do that under expert mode?

I didn't see anywhere during the process that said anything like do you want to install installer. I followed iclarified and the sticky of jailbreaking on here

10. The Governor thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, that's me. But I'm getting it. The way I figure.... 2 more restores and I'll have

That's promising news.

on the side note. can you quote 2 different people within the same reply? so I'm not always double posting

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You can quote as many people as you want in a reply.

12. The Governor thread starter macrumors regular

rookie question here I know.....but how? all I ever see the option to reply once

13. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

There are two ways:

1. Manually add the "quote" tag, and paste in the text

2. Hit 'Quote,' type your response, select all, copy, back out and go to the next message that you want to quote, hit 'Quote,' go to the beginning, paste, carriage return, go to the end, enter your next response.

Whatever floats your boat.

14. The Governor thread starter macrumors regular

how do you NOT install "installer"?

does anyone have a better jailbreak step by step than the sticky and or iclarified?

because I followed both of them and neither gave the option to not install installer.

may not be the best way here, but what if I just deleted it after the jailbreak was complete? would that work? well, can you even delete it once it's installed?

thanks again for everyones comments

15. Stepper macrumors regular

If your using quickpwn there will be an option to not instal insteller by un-ticking the tick box.

Or you could just download BossPrefs or Poof and just hid insteller once you've jailbroken...thats what I done lol