Jailbroke 4.01 using jailbreakme.com now need 4.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by djrobsd, Oct 26, 2010.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I see lots of exploits available for 4.1 now.. Which is good because some apps in the app store won't install or update without 4.1!

My concern is this... I have a lot of stuff I've downloaded and paid for in Cydia. I'm still kinda a n00b at all this, but wanted to know how I can preserve all my goodies in Cydia while updating to 4.1?

Also, another thing, do I need to update to 4.1 using itunes first, and then Jailbreak using greenpois0n, or can I just jailbreak using greenpois0n and it will update me to 4.1?

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

You need to update to 4.1 before you can jailbreak, otherwise the 4.1 install will kill the jailbreak. As far as the backup of your Cydia apps goes there is another program that back ups your jailbreak contents (maybe someone else can add to this).

3. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Which apps are 4.1 specific besides gamecenter and imovie?

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Most all Cydia apps are now 4.1 ready so there's no issue with them not working. As for JB'ing, I used TinyUmbrella and Limera1n to JB to 4.1 and it was super easy. I needed to preserve my baseband for my unlock so I saved my SHSH and ran TinyUmbrella in the background while updating through iTunes. You get an error message when you do this (which is normal) and then you kick yourself out of TU. Then, run Limera1n or greenpois0n to complete the JB process.

I use PkgBackup to save all my Cydia apps and the restore of those after JB'ing was flawless. Seemed like some people ran into issues during this step of the process (judging from some posts in here) however I had no issues thankfully. Then it's just a matter of getting all your mods back into place and you're set.

5. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

"some apps in the app store won't install or update without 4.1"

which apps are you referring to, other than gamecenter and imovie?

6. buc macrumors member

I was in exact same boat as you. Initially used jailbreakme.com. didn't really know what i was doing but wanted to upgrade to 4.1.

so...i asked the exact same question last week in this forum and someone helped me out but essentially you need to do a backup in itunes, get PKGbackup in cydia to back up all your cydia apps, upgrade to 4.1 in itunes, then use either greenpoison or limerain to jailbreak again, then use PKGbackup to get back all your jailbreak apps.

I went with greenpoison and didn't have any issues at all (other than not being able to get all the way through the process at work, probably due to firewall, so had to wait until i got home to use my home network).

there is some "jail break matrix" website or something like that out there that explains the process in pretty good detail. but it was surprisingly simple.

good luck

EDIT: if you are unlocked, it gets trickier from what i understand and you have to get into preserving your current baseband or something. I didn't have to worry about this. If you do, you need to do more research (i think this info. is on that "matrix" website)

7. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

and for the record you don't HAVE to use pkgbackup. it is highly recommended, but just writing down your sources and apps and installing one by one works just as well, albeit slower...

8. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Various apps in the app store now say "this app requires 4.1", one of which is a netflix browser app called "Flicks Watcher".. ;)

I'm not sure what functions Flicks Watcher would be using in the 4.1 OS, but I suspect much of this is Apple's way of trying to force people to upgrade their OS.

9. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

BTW, the main app I need to keep after restore is BiteSMS, since I paid $9 bucks for it. ;) Will Pkgbackup restore that for me?

10. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Yeah it'll restore the Cydia apps you backup. Cydia apps purchased are tied to the account you use to buy them. So even if you get a new device you'll be able to redownload the apps.

11. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. I'm still on jailbroken 4.0.1 (very very happy, stable too) and really just want to wait for 4.2 before updating, as Airplay is the only thing I feel is worth upgrading for.

12. jpep macrumors member

Do you need to set up as a new phone when restoring or at any point during this process? I have a iphone4 4.01 jailbreakme.com. i want to upgrade to 4.1?
    I am using a mac.

13. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

All done and upgraded to 4.1... What a major ordeal yesterday..

#1 MOST IMPORTANT - if you have previously modified your hosts file in the /etc folder on your mac (or c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc on a PC) to point to Cydia or another activation server, you WILL NOT be able to restore your iPhone. Make sure you comment out that line with a # sign before upgrading to 4.1!!! (Cost me over an hour of time trying to figure out why it wasn't working until I googled it and found an article on Apple)

#2 BACK EVERYTHING UP!!! MAKE SURE You right click on your iphone in iTunes and select "Transfer purchases" so you can transfer any music or apps you bought on your iphone to itunes, otherwise you may loose them when the phone is wiped. I also manually copied all my photos to a folder on my desktop, just in case... Also, make sure your contacts are backed up outside of itunes,... Print out a contact list, write them down, whatever, just in case..

I know I'm being paranoid, but when my phone was stuck in DFU mode, my heart was sinking...

#3 Now.. Backup Cydia if you want to keep your apps. I bought the PkgBackup in Cydia for $4.99. It worked very well - the only thing that didn't go through was the icon for myWi and the icon for bitesms. ;)

#4 Update to 4.1 in itunes - it will wipe your phone back to factory spec

#5 Restore after 4.1 is installed (in itunes) to get your contacts, texts, app store apps, etc back

#6 Jailbreak

#7 Install Cydia (using installer)

#8 Open Cydia and download PkgBackup

#9 Restore packages

VIOLA! DONE!

PHEW!

14. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

What you consider a problem with your point (1) is actually a feature for many people. Because your host files were pointing to cydia the update of an ip4 firmware would have worked but the Baseband update would fail with a 1004 error. You could have kicked it out of recovery mode at that point with Tiny Umbrella and saved the old baseband. This is how IP4 users are keeping their unlock.

Of course this is of no use with earlier Iphones.

15. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I did this yesterday as well, see my comments after yours...

My host file was modified to Cydia and I did not comment it out. Used Tiny Umbrella to upgrade to 4.1 and keep my basedband. Very smooth process.

Yes, I think you being a little paranoid, but that's not a bad thing. The transfer purchases idea is a good idea...never thought of that. Pics...I copy them off to my PC as well. Contacts? Now that's being paranoid as mine are in Outlook and I'm not going to write down over 3,000 contacts!

Use PkgBackup as well...The icon issues are not due to PkgBackup IMO.

Only if you are not concerned with upgraded your baseband. This is where people need to use Tiny Umbrella to upgrade and thereby preserve their baseband.

Better practice is to restore as new iPhone, and then SYNC with iTunes to get your contexts, app store apps, notes, etc back. I don't believe you'll get texts back, but I could be wrong.

BTW...jailbreaks often go smoother if you jailbreak before you sync as in step 5 above. Less on the phone makes for a quicker, smoother jailbreak in my experience

See how easy that was!! Mine took about an hour, but much longer to get my Springboard back where I wanted all my app icons. I wish SBOrganizer worked with FolderEnhancer this whole operation would have been one hour.