Jailbroke ios4 - how do i update software? Basic terms please?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by joannax3lyn, Sep 22, 2010.

1. joannax3lyn macrumors newbie

I'm new to jailbreak & cydia. I know there is some stuff on here on how to back up the phone & then update etc... but can someone please help me in basic terms on how to update my software and sync it without risk of messing it up?
    thanks!
    -Joanna

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Update what software? The apps you install from Cydia? If so, treat it just like an app from the App Store. Tap on the software that needs updated, tap Confirm and it installs.

Syncing, assuming you mean via iTunes, happens as normal as long as you do not upgrade the firmware. Cydia apps are not affected by an iTunes synch.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think the OP is talking about updating the firmware. You don't update until the Dev Team says you can safely update.

4. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

If you update the firmware, your JB/UL will be gone and you will be back on stock firmware.
    Only a 3G can be currently JB on 4.1, if you have a 3GS or iPhone 4, you need to wait.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

• Download Tiny Umbrella
    • Save your SHSH blobs
    When you have your SHSH blobs saved, you can restore in itunes and re-jailbreak without major issues. Currently, the SHSH for 4.1 is available. Even though no jb is available, you should still save it, because it might be useful in the future.
    If you update without blobs, you can not downgrade.