Jailbroke using Redsn0w and iphone dosen't work now!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cotesmagoats, Feb 8, 2012.

1. cotesmagoats macrumors newbie

I just downloaded Redsn0w and followed this video on YouTube on how to jail break the iPhone 3gs. When the process was complete I turned on my iphone and now the apple shows up and the phone shuts right off. I attempted to reset threw itunes but itunes wont reconize my iphone anymore! Help please!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Put your iPhone into DFU mode (Google it) and restore through iTunes. Then rejailbreak with redsn0w.

3. Little-Acorn macrumors newbie

Intell, I've tried to put my 3GS into DFU mode, both by following the Redsnow instructions and be following various YouTube video instructions. All I get is a black screen.

I may be doing something wrong, but damned if I know what.

Any suggestions?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A black screen is all the iPhone shows in DFU mode. iTunes will tell you it's in DFU mode by telling you it found an iPhone in recovery mode and it needs to be restored.

5. cotesmagoats thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks man...

the instructions im using from youtube for Redsn0w don't work. You wouldn't happen to have instructions on how to jailbreak the iphone 3gs would you?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Connect your 3Gs to your computer, download and open the latest version of redsn0w, do what redsn0w tells you.

7. cotesmagoats thread starter macrumors newbie

ok... so i put my iphone into DFU mode, clicked restore and when it was complete i got a error message saying error occured (-1)

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Did you install the iPad baseband onto your 3Gs? If you did, you'll have to make a custom IPSW in PwnageTool and restore your iPhone with that.

9. Little-Acorn macrumors newbie

Is it necessary to have iTunes installed on your PC computer when attempting this jailbreak with Redsnow?

I'd imagine most iPhone users probably have iTunes installed, right? But I don't - I just bought this 3GS used yesterday, and have never used iTunes or any other such Apple software.

Do I need to install iTunes, before using Redsnow to jailbreak this 3GS?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think iTunes is a requirement. But you can still try it without iTunes.

11. cotesmagoats thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I finally got cydia downloaded on my iphone. Now,on the home screen the phone has "searching" above it, no baseband, and says "no wifi". And the phone turns off after a couple minutes of use and reboots itself.

Any idea whats going on? lol

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Ive not looked but theres gotta be an un tethered jailbreak for the 3gs by now !

13. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

Oh no dude, sorry to say but now ur iphone is bricked. Ur 3GS is a new one with toshiba baseband chip. Check ur serial, i can guarantee the 3rd 4th and 5th numbers are above 135.
    If u use ipad bb on ur 3GS with toshiba chip, then ur wifi, ECID, bluetooth and phone wont work anymore. There's absolutely no way to fix it unless u pay a heavy fee.
    Sorry man

14. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Im reading more and more threads on various forums from people having issues after or during the process of jail breaking !

I was mulling over jail breaking my iPhone 4 so i could add siri but after reading issues like these I'm getting a little concerned.

I always promote doing your homework before carrying out any such procedure !

On balance i also read lots of success stories and about how this procedure opens up the idevice to many more possibilities.

15. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

iPhone 4 has no risks, worst thing that can happen is ur data getting erased
    Unlike tge poster's 3GS, its a $400 Paperweight Now