Jailbroken 3.2 froze, had to update to 3.2.1

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by 3282868, Jul 23, 2010.

1. 3282868 macrumors 603

I had my 3.2 jail broken and forgot to "Make my life easier" through Cydia. However I installed an app that froze my iPad and no matter what I did I could not get it to boot. I tried downgrading to 3.2 by altering the host file and using iTunes 9.1.1 but I missed the boat.

Question. My Mac Pro is in for repairs (having the logic board replaced) and ive been using an iMac. As I jailbroke on my Mac Pro would there be a local SHSH blob that automatically is saved on the system after jail breaking and syncing to iTunes? I highly doubt it but if you don't ask....

Thanks!

2. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

You wish! but NO.
    The only way to save your SHSH locally on your computer is by using TinyUmbrella.

3. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Yup. I know that from jailbreaking iPhone 3G/3GS. I was hoping that once jail broken perhaps you wouldn't be screwed if you didn't select the cydia option.

Side note: why doesn't Cydia automatically save your SHSH blob? Seems a bit silly as those who may be new to the jailbreak community may not know any better. Sadly I knew better but was given no choice but to upgrade to 3.2.1 to unbrick my iPad :(.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

And if Cydia did automatically save the blob, I'm sure there will be an uproar from people over privacy concerns.

5. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

I just restored original firmware with itunes 9, the ver. that was out at time of launch, and just used spirit to jailbreak and it worked fine.

Another friend used windows 7 and a new install of itunes worked as well.

6. 3282868 thread starter macrumors 603

Privacy concerns? They are jailbreaking a device I doubt most would be concerned over privacy issues. And what privacy would that be (not being sarcastic, honest question)?

How? Without the SHSH blob apple will deny the downgrade.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why would willingness to jailbreak equate to any willingness to give up privacy? And while I'm not aware of any ways an SHSH blob could be misused, I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one day to hear that some inventive but morally inscruplous mind has found a way to abuse this info. This might be a very slim possibility, but I think it is right that Cydia asks for permission before storing the blob info. We jailbreak to take control of our devices, and I would think most jailbreakers would also prefer to retain control of any info relating to their devices.

8. gigaguy macrumors 65816

confused, you restored orig 3.2 iPad firmware, or used 3.21 with older iTunes.
    3.2.1 can be jb on older iTunes?