Jailbroken 3G to Unlocked 3G (3.0) - How To?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazylegsmurphy, Jun 17, 2009.

  1. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    #1
    Hello All,

    Sorry, I'm kinda new to all this. My 3G is currently jailbroken. I'm in the UK for 6 months so I REALLY need the unlock. The thing is, how do I go about doing it?

    Should I restore the phone first, then install 3.0, then jailbreak again, then unlock on Friday?

    What would happen if I just tried to install 3.0 on my jailbroken phone?

    Secondly, I have been reading that it's ok to upgrade to 3.0, but is this 100% true? I did this last time and then my bootloader thing screwed me over, is this unlock for every baseband version?

    Thanks all!!
     
  2. aerospace macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    #2
    I would wait until the unlock and jailbrake are released and confirmed to be working and stable being upgrading. Of course you could always downgrade later if your not happy with it, but that's more work.
     
  3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2003
    #3
    If you update to 3.0, you will lose the jailbreak (and therefore unlock) until the 3.0 unlock is released. So if you want to use your phone continuously, wait until the 3.0 unlock is released (and tested by the public) before upgrading.

    Follow this blog for all the official news: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/
     
  4. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    #4
    True...

    I would still like to get my phone ready for it all if I can...but I'm not sure of the steps.
     
  5. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    #5
    Thanks for the reply.

    I don't currently have my phone unlocked as my baseband wouldn't allow it (2.2) my phone is completely useless right now in the UK.

    I check the Dev blog all the time and they're saying it's ok to upgrade on the twitter, but I'm just wondering what the best way to upgrade is even if I wait until Friday for the release.

    I don't want to upgrade to 3.0 and have it brick my phone or anything. That's why I'm wondering if I need/should restore or something.
     

Share This Page