Jailbroken 3GS Frequently Puts Itself Into Safe Mode?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Agent 21, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Agent 21 macrumors regular

I'm running the PurpleRa1n JB (the 2nd release, the one that was more stable, RC2 I think it was called) on a launch day 3GS and it's 3.0 FW. For about a month now everytime I install something, be it from the official App Store or the "other" App Store (I'm mentioning it to give full details of the issue, not to be lectured on the rights and wrongs of said program and what it "stands" for please) the phone will reboot/respring itself as soon as the app installs and it will always be in safe mode and I need to restart it again to return to normal. Curiously enough, EVERY SINGLE TIME it does this my camera icon, which is just the stock icon (not any changed/themed icon), is always moved from my home page to it's very own page. My home screen will look the same except no camera icon, and then page 2 will be JUST the camera icon, then page 3 and on are the same as I had them set, they are just one over (since the camera icon is now page 2).

It also does this upon updating apps through the app store, and sometimes when I'm just browsing Safari it will slow to a crawl or freeze up (like when I try to scroll around it will be unresponsive or just move the page SUPER slow) and then it will restart itself into safe mode. I'm not sure if it does it when installing/updating Cydia stuff, I haven't used Cydia in awhile.

Normally I'd just restore and re-jailbreak but that's not an option here as Im on 3.0 FW and do NOT have my files backed up in Cydia. Basically I held off on upgrading to 3.1 then re-JBing since there were reports that it was buggy initially. I pretty much forgot about it after that since I have the 3.0 MMS enabling network profile from Cydia. I hadn't used Cydia for awhile around that time and when I finally did I noticed the "make my life easier" thing but didn't click it because it said it was for 3.1 and I was (am) on 3.0. I didn't click "no" though, it still asks me everytime I open Cydia. Then I started noticing a lot of cool new games/apps require the newest FW, or newer than 3.0, so I decided to upgrade to 3.1.2 and re-JB, but I literally decided a day too late as 3.1.3 had just come out so I couldn't get 3.1.2 signed anymore.

So that's the rundown of my problem. My 3.0 3GS JB reboots itself into safe mode every single time I install ANYTHING, apps, games, updates, whatever, and also occasionally (maybe 5 or 6 times since this problem started a month or so ago) when browsing Safari. Any ideas as to what it could be and how I can fix it (WITHOUT restoring/re-JBing since I cannot do that given the FW I'm running, the lack of files stored in Cydia, and the lack of a 3GS JB for the newest FW)?

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to give as much detailed info on the problem as possible, and thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

*BUMP*

Sorry, hate to bump my own thread, but this issue is starting to become REALLY annoying, and I know there are more then a few extremely knowledgeable members here (Ive been helped every other time I've needed it here) so I'm wondering if maybe people have missed it by it dropping too far down the page.

3. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

People don't want to lecture you necessarily, it is simply against the rules to discuss piracy on this forum.
    Cracked apps can play havoc on your phone... so if your are installing a lot of things illegally from this 'other' app store, the most likely culprit is one more more of these programs are causing problems.
    As for how to fix it, you could loose try and uninstall your stolen apps, but it might just be a fact of having to restore.

4. Agent 21 thread starter macrumors regular

I know piracy isn't supposed to be discussed, bur I wanted to provide full details as to what was being used/run on my phone in order to better assist with diagnosis. I didn't mean to come off as rude with the "lecture" comment, I just know I've seen people get slammed for mentioning the "other" app store before. As far as actually using it, I DO buy most of my apps, but I'll use that when I'm not sure about a certain app and want to check it out without blowing $5-10 if it's crappy. Usually I'll test it from that "store" then if I really like it and know I'll use it I'll go buy it officially. I do it with music also, I'll DL a new album the "other" way then buy the album if I like it. Believe it or not, but that's just how I do it.

I'm aware of the "dangers" of it and knew that one of the things I've installed from there probably has something to do with it, I was just hoping maybe there was another solution besides a restore/re-JB process which I cannot do currently as I'm on 3.0 without any files stored in Cydia.

5. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Just to make a general point about piracy here, a lot of people do this with films/music/software, and studies actually show that people who pirate music spend more buying it too, and this post clearly shows the same trends in piracy of other things too.

Sorry if that's a bit off-topic.

As for your problem, OP, you might have to restore the phone from scratch, but maybe try reinstalling things like Winterboard as - believe it or not - they can cause problems like this too.

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

if you don't have sbsettings installed go into cydia and install it.

Then, swipe your status bar to open sbsettings, click more, go to mobile substrate addons...

You can go through this list and turn things off to see if it helps fix your phone. I would just turn everything off first and see if it works. Then go through and start turning stuff back on one at a time starting with the things you want the most checking each time to see if that addon is causing the problems. If you find one that is causing problems, first MAKE SURE you turn it back on in mobile substrate addons, then delete it/uninstall via cydia, you have to turn it back on first though.

If turning all of those things off doesn't help then yeah you probably have a bad crack on one of your apps. You can try deleting the apps from your phone if you think you know which one(s) are causing problems, but no guarantee that will work either... you might be stuck having to reformat or deal with the phone going into safe mode.

I've also noticed if you have a lot of mobile substrate addons and such that when your phone is respringing if you try to touch the screen before it's done fully loading it will go into safe mode. Just an observation from personal experience.

You also might wanna go through your cydia packages and clean up anything you've downloaded that you don't use or care about anymore and also make sure that on occasion you clear up the ram of your phone to help prevent crashes.

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Disabling mobile substrate addons one by one would be my suggestion as well. That usually does the trick. Good luck OP, let us know what it ends up being!