Jailbroken 3GS on OS3.0 to 3.1.3 and Rejailbreak???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by EatMyApple, Apr 12, 2010.

1. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Is it possible to take a currently jailbroken (but screwing up) 3.0 3GS, update in iTunes to 3.1.3 and rejailbreak? I think I recall at one time there was no JB but not sure if that has been solved since?

Purplera1n still the one to use? Thanks!

2. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes it is possible. Because you're running 3.0 right now I would recommend that that you preserve the valuable baseband so it can be easily unlocked, even if you don't ever plan on unlocking. If you have a Mac you can do this using PwnageTool. I don't think there is any way to do this on Windows. Don't using Blackrain. There are some problems with it and iTunes 9.1. Use Redsnow instead.

4. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

I would advise strongly against upgrading to 3.1.3... there is no good reason to do it, you want to go up to 3.1.2 and stay there, most recent and trouble free firmware to be on as of today.

trust me, don't upgrade to 3.1.3.

I'm gussing you have the old 04.26.08 baseband along with your 3.0 Jailbroken 3Gs. Your easiest and best option is to Google "ilikemyiphone install custom 3.1.2" and click on the first search result READ EVERYTHING SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY and I guarantee you, you will have your phone restored to a fresh Jailbroken 3.1.2 (all fixed) in *less than 10 minutes.

*Granted you have fast internet connection to quickly download 300 and plus megabytes of files online.

Note: Another thing, you may not want to re-sync your old back up on iTunes after the Restore, as much of a drag it may be, start off as a "New iPhone" and start synchronizing your media from scratch.

Hope it works out for you, let us know how it goes.

5. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the reply!!! Does starting off at a "New iPhone" delete contacts as well as the media?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Starting off as a New iPhone will result in you losing anything that was on the iPhone. Be it App settings and data, media, and contacts/calendars. But you should have the media and contacts and calendars synced to Outlook/iCal/Address Book so they will reappear. All you need to do is tell iTunes to sync them over. Your media will have to be rechecked as well.

7. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Yes it does, it basically restores your phone to a factory settings, plus jailbreaks it with the Cydia app of course ( being it a Custom 3.1.2 firmware)

If it's too much of a hassle for you to manually enter all your contacts back and if some of your notes and SMS messages have certain value to you that you like to preserve. (understandably so) I say go ahead and use the back up. it may be ok...

But it sounds like you may have heavily customized your phone with lots of Cydia apps, if that's the case then maybe do not restore your Cydia apps/data back up; But just the ones itunes has backed up.

Go ahead and restore from back up if you have to, if you notice any unusual slow downs and behavior (like you are having now) You can always do the same Restoring process over again and this time do a "New Iphone".

Buttom line, it's not too risky to at least try and see if you can restore from back up and DO have your data (Contacts, Calendars SMS messages etc.) all back again.

EDIT: plus what the guy above me said, I have all my iPhone Contacts, Calendar and Notes saved in my MS Outlook program and I use "TreasureMyText" from Cyda right on the iphone to back up those "sentimental" text messages once every few months.

Worst part is...On some apps you are gonna lose the saved data ( ie: games with progression, or more important financial data keeping apps etc. ) I'm sure there are alternate ways to back up those type of data, but it will be a hassle regardless...

Besides those you pretty much just have to "check" and "un-check" your iTunes playlists and other media to sync it with the iphone, as a constant jailbreaker, I basically rely on more than just one source (iTunes) to back up my iPhone data... it's just good peace of mind:)

8. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome! Thank you to both of you! Having a sick iPhone isn't fun!

9. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Just did a restore with the custom ispw file and iTunes prompted me that new carrier files are available to download? I declined but just wanted to make sure that was the correct choice? Should I have updated?

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Carrier file contains MMS settings for AT&T. If on AT&T it should be safe.

11. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup! Thank you for reply!

12. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

I donno about AT&T, but I went ahead and did that for Rogers here in Canada and it was safe. Carrier files are very tiny files and it should not effect anything with your iphone firmware.

If it doesn't let you go back and update it, might as well do another Custom Restore :p

Well I'm glad it worked out for you!

13. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure did! Thank you a ton for your help! Love this forum!