jailbroken 3GS running 3.1.3 - so tempted to upgrade to 4.0

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Pez555, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

aghhhh, im this close to updating to 4.0. Im trying to decide whether i care if i lose my jailbreak or not.

if i do upgrade will i have any problems jailbreaking 4.0 if one came out?

has anyone else here done the deed and upgraded to 4.0 running a jailbroken phone on 3.1.3, 3.1.2 etc?

2. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Of course, but I'm sure as a forum member you knew that already. Key is, if you are jailbroken on 3.1.3 with pwnage, use the latest pwnage to create a custom ispw for 4.0. I made the jump a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier.

3. Ryanm93 macrumors member

I had a Jailbroken 3Gs 3.1.3 and was thinking the same thing. There are pros and cons to upgrading to 4.0.
    The jailbreak does everything that 4.0 does but 4.0 does it a bit more attractively. On the other hand the Jailbreak does offer a lot more customisation options and instalulous... So I would say stick with the jailbreak :)
    :apple:

4. Pez555 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pez555

i dont pirate anything on my jailbreak, however i have customised quite a lot of things on it, so losing that would be a bummer - but i could easily re-apply it back once a 4.0 jailbreak comes out.

just itching to do it, shall i?!

eugh.

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

OP, I actually just made the jump from a jailbroken (Spirit) 3.1.3 on my 3GS to iOS4 a couple of days ago after my phone started wigging out. At this point, I couldn't be happier (well, I could...once the jb for iOS4 comes out!) :p

I'm not sure if this is completely necessary (since I'm not an experienced jail-breaker...Spirit was my first try at it), but I found that in order to get all my apps working again, I had to do a fresh restore and then set the phone up as new. It was my stupidity, but I upgraded directly from the jailbroken OS to iOS4 and there were definitely some remnants of the jailbreak still around (as well as my apps not working on the network).

A clean restore and setting up the phone as new, then installing iOS4 again did the trick. Everything works great and I really like the new OS, although I'll be jailbreaking again once they get a stable one out for it. I miss LockInfo and SBSettings too much to NOT have them around again!

6. gpo1956 macrumors member

I went from Jailbroken 3.13 to OS4 and hated it. It sucked my battery and I lost MMS and cellular data. It took me FOREVER to get back to 3.1.3 and to re-Jailbreak, so I would certainly caution you before doing it. As said, you're already capable of doing everything that OS4 offers (I guess with the exception of the camera upgrade), so wy chance it? Just my 2 cents.

7. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Good luck!! I made the jump about 5 days ago and now I'm waiting on a JB :) This isn't my first rodeo either... oh well. I seriously wish you all the luck in the world.