Jailbroken 3Gs, white screen, still under warrenty

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Leafs, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Leafs macrumors member

Hey so basically I have been backpacking around Europe and took my sim card out of my iPhone 3Gs and used it as an ipod. Staying at a hostel I wanted to have my phone close to me while charging so I slept beside it on the top bunk bed. Knocked it off while sleeping onto hardwood floor. Went down to pick it up praying for not a broken screen saw it wasnt broken and breathed out a sigh of relief but then turned it on and it was a white screen haha.

Anyways it still works with the headphones and i can use the voice controls but I dont believe it responds to touch. Also haven't tried receiving a call on it as I am still in europe.

I'm coming back soon and was just wondering if:

1) there is a way to properly restore it without seeing anything on the screen so I can take it to apple and they won't know it was jailbroken

2) Apple will replace it. Cause It is still under the original warrenty I believe but I also have applecare added onto it. I was going to replace it anyways because I had a bit of dust under my screen. Could I say that there was dust under my screen and that all of a sudden it stopped working? or would they know?

3)oh and if apple replaces my phone is there anyway to jailbreak my replaced phone? I believe I obtained all those shsh files I needed for my broken phone but I'm assuming it won't work for a different phone? I'm guessing I'll just have to wait for a new jailbreak?
    edit *K even if I dont lie would apple replace a white screened iphone under warrenty for free?*

Thanks a lot!

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

1) You can restore your phone by plugging it into iTunes and clicking restore. Nothing has to be done on the phone itself.

2) You want advice on how to commit fraud? Yeah, no.

3. xMastemah macrumors member

They would probably know. They see that kinda stuff daily (I'm guessing). But they might go out of their to avoid calling you a liar.

Good luck.

4. Leafs thread starter macrumors member

k well even if i didnt lie to them. what are the chances they replace it? Would they just think something came loose? Or am i screwed? Doing some research I noticed there are mixed reviews but yeah anyone have this problem lately?

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

well 1st this is a hacking section of the forum mostly talking about jailbreaking and unlocking and programs. restoring original firmware is easy just restore as new. forum rules won't allow us to talk about ways to defraud Apple. Last nobody really knows what a Genus will say. except maybe the apple Genus that is in this forum. best be make an appointment and see what happens.

but personal opinion I don't think Apple will buy the little speck of dust turning into the white screen of death.

6. BrokeMyi macrumors newbie

connect the iPhone to itunes and back it up.
    Then put it into DFU mode, and restore it.
    Go to apple store and they wil never know :)
    get your new iphone and restore it from your previous back up.
    good luck :)

7. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

It really depends on the genius you get on whether or not it'll get replaced or not. And take thelatinist's advice first before you do anything, cause if they plug in your phone to run a diagnostics test (which they will) they will be able to tell you're phone is JB'd. Although the majority of techs won't care because chances are that theirs are as well. And if the tech says no, then re-schedule at a different store and keep trying. And remember, politeness goes a long way, trust me. xD

8. Leafs thread starter macrumors member

Oh really? thats all I have to do and I have rejailbroken my iPhone? Even if it is running 4.0?
    If so awesome! Thanks