Jailbroken 5.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chris2k11, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Chris2k11 macrumors member

Chris2k11

Has anyone seen it yet? I tried, just to see what would happen, doing an over the air update. It told me error downloading update.

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

better be sure what you are doing, reading your post i seriously doubt that, you can't go back!

3. Chris2k11 thread starter macrumors member

Chris2k11

I have had my phone jail broken for quite sometime. Just didn't know if any one had seen if 5.1 was up yet.

4. rman726 macrumors 6502

If you rely on a jailbroken phone, I would highly recommend you not upgrade until someone actually jailbreaks 5.1. It may be a long time before 5.1 is jailbroken. Nobody but the jailbreakers have any idea how long it will take...

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

it took us about 4 months to get the 5.0.1 jailbreak ;) just hang on to your hat or learn to hack!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Really dude?
    5.1 had been out for a few hours now. :rolleyes:

7. Undecided macrumors 6502a

There's a jailbreak for 5.0.1? Untethered? (I'm really only interested in unlocking....)

8. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

Do you really think it would take that long for this update though? The only reason I could think of that this would take longer is because they might need to find a way to jailbreak the new iPad, but other than that I think it could come relatively soon, especially since users will want to JB their new iPad, so the devs might feel more motivated to work.

9. labman, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

labman macrumors 604

labman

yup your right I'm wrong jailbreak this time should be so easy. I bet we see a jailbreak by Sunday. Musclenerd tweeted he had a big date Friday night presuming he gets lucky I don't think he will get to work on till Sunday Morning so Jailbreak by 11:59 pm EST Sunday for sure. :D

10. PyroMac2011 macrumors newbie

Why even worry about 5.1? Bug fixes aside, there is absolutely nothing great about the update. In fact, it's even a further slap in the face with Apple siding with ATT ... labeling as 4G.

Don't get me wrong, I've liked Apple products for a long time but they don't give a crap anymore. They are the current leaders and all they have to do is ride the wave. People will buy in just for simplicity, not having to learn a new OS/move stuff/rebuy apps.

I expect Apple to be behind the curve for MANY years to come, as long as they can get away with it.

/rant

Bottom line, why do you even need iOS 5.1?

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Jailbroken phones cannot do OTA updates

12. Trey1984 macrumors regular

ya its out. update.

seriously be patient, or jailbreak it yourself

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Probably longer is my guess.
    Exploits are not easy to come by and once patched by apple new ones would need to be found. Injection of the code will need to be implemented, testing, packaging and very long time testing everything.
    Its nowhere near as easy or as simple as you think.
    Its a very complicated process and Apple makes it harder each time. So each JB might take longer to be released.

14. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

longer...

the cat and mouse game is making tighter turns ever time around.
    the A5 chip appears to have no exploits on it, maybe they get lucky with the A5X for iPad3.

i0nic is supposed to have some userland exploits up his sleeve, but if they are workable and if he is willing to share, who knows.

For now happy on 5.0.1 on all my devices, not going to upgrade for iPhoto only!

15. d0vr macrumors 6502a

You're very uninformed I assume. I also assume you are thinking of how quickly iPhone 4/3GS etc are jailbroken. That is because they found a hardware exploit. They can use it almost every time.

The 4S and iPad 2 required a software based exploit. That means Apple can patch it, meaning the jailbreak community with need to find another exploit.

Lastly, devs don't get paid for their jailbreaks and do it simply for the challenge (most of them) so no, no amount of users hankering for a jailbreak will put pressure on them. If anything, it will make them want to go into hiding. Hope that helps!

16. dot.ducky, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

dot.ducky macrumors newbie

personally, I would pay for a jailbreak... In fact, I owe greenpois0n some for it.

edit: just donated a fiver like a boss... another 5 goes when i get the next jailbreak