Jailbroken 5.1

Chris2k11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Has anyone seen it yet? I tried, just to see what would happen, doing an over the air update. It told me error downloading update.

Chris2k11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
I have had my phone jail broken for quite sometime. Just didn't know if any one had seen if 5.1 was up yet.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I have had my phone jail broken for quite sometime. Just didn't know if any one had seen if 5.1 was up yet.
If you rely on a jailbroken phone, I would highly recommend you not upgrade until someone actually jailbreaks 5.1. It may be a long time before 5.1 is jailbroken. Nobody but the jailbreakers have any idea how long it will take...

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
it took us about 4 months to get the 5.0.1 jailbreak ;) just hang on to your hat or learn to hack!
Do you really think it would take that long for this update though? The only reason I could think of that this would take longer is because they might need to find a way to jailbreak the new iPad, but other than that I think it could come relatively soon, especially since users will want to JB their new iPad, so the devs might feel more motivated to work.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Do you really think it would take that long for this update though? The only reason I could think of that this would take longer is because they might need to find a way to jailbreak the new iPad, but other than that I think it could come relatively soon, especially since users will want to JB their new iPad, so the devs might feel more motivated to work.
yup your right I'm wrong jailbreak this time should be so easy. I bet we see a jailbreak by Sunday. Musclenerd tweeted he had a big date Friday night presuming he gets lucky I don't think he will get to work on till Sunday Morning so Jailbreak by 11:59 pm EST Sunday for sure. :D

Last edited:

PyroMac2011

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Why even worry about 5.1? Bug fixes aside, there is absolutely nothing great about the update. In fact, it's even a further slap in the face with Apple siding with ATT ... labeling as 4G.

Don't get me wrong, I've liked Apple products for a long time but they don't give a crap anymore. They are the current leaders and all they have to do is ride the wave. People will buy in just for simplicity, not having to learn a new OS/move stuff/rebuy apps.

I expect Apple to be behind the curve for MANY years to come, as long as they can get away with it.

/rant

Bottom line, why do you even need iOS 5.1?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Probably longer is my guess.
Exploits are not easy to come by and once patched by apple new ones would need to be found. Injection of the code will need to be implemented, testing, packaging and very long time testing everything.
Its nowhere near as easy or as simple as you think.
Its a very complicated process and Apple makes it harder each time. So each JB might take longer to be released.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
longer...

the cat and mouse game is making tighter turns ever time around.
the A5 chip appears to have no exploits on it, maybe they get lucky with the A5X for iPad3.

i0nic is supposed to have some userland exploits up his sleeve, but if they are workable and if he is willing to share, who knows.

For now happy on 5.0.1 on all my devices, not going to upgrade for iPhoto only!

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
You're very uninformed I assume. I also assume you are thinking of how quickly iPhone 4/3GS etc are jailbroken. That is because they found a hardware exploit. They can use it almost every time.

The 4S and iPad 2 required a software based exploit. That means Apple can patch it, meaning the jailbreak community with need to find another exploit.

Lastly, devs don't get paid for their jailbreaks and do it simply for the challenge (most of them) so no, no amount of users hankering for a jailbreak will put pressure on them. If anything, it will make them want to go into hiding. Hope that helps!

dot.ducky

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
devs don't get paid for their jailbreaks
personally, I would pay for a jailbreak... In fact, I owe greenpois0n some for it.

edit: just donated a fiver like a boss... another 5 goes when i get the next jailbreak

Last edited: