Jailbroken app to integrate apple in-ear headphones?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tegannnn, Feb 2, 2009.

1. tegannnn macrumors newbie

I'm new to this forum, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, or if it comes off as a novice question. I was wondering if there is an app for a jailbroken iPhone that allows you to designate which application the headphone mic button controls. I don't even know if such a thing is possible, but I use Simplify Media instead of the iPod app to listen to music on my iPhone, paired with the backgrounder app so that I can keep it in my pocket with the screen off and still listen to music. The only thing missing is that it can't be controlled with the button on the headphones. If it could be reconfigured to an application of my choice, it would make listening to music that much more convenient. So far as I know there are no apps out there that integrate the headphones in this way, so I'm thinking it's kind of impossible, but I'd like to make sure. Does anybody know any reason why this can't be done?

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen. The application would have to run in the background to capture presses of the button and pipe the input into the active program as a press of the next button. It seems difficult and prone to issues. If Apple allows however, newer revisions of certain programs may be able to utilize the button functionality directly. We'll have to wait and see. :/

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I may be mistaken, but isn't it a hardware issue?

4. tegannnn thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know, is it? I'm not even remotely knowledgeable on what is or isn't possible, I'm just extremely curious. I jailbroke my iPhone and was amazed at all the new features available to me. If applications can be tailored to run in the background, then I thought maybe it was possible. If it was a hardware issue, what exactly would that mean? Thank you for the input by the way :)

Thanks for the info, I guess it won't be very likely that Apple would allow something like that right? I mean, they'll probably never let non-jailbroken apps run in the background, so if they let people change what the headphone button controls, only a jailbroken phone would be able to utilize it right? There's no reason for them to allow it then. What a shame :(